x

Chip Reader fails on Android new rev

My Contactless/Chip reader stopped working after the latest software update to the new Square POS. I've tried all the troubleshooting steps, and it won't connect or process transactions. I'm running on an Android tablet that has been working fiine for several months. The changes happend just after I installed the new POS version of the register software. 

I borrowed a customer's iPad for testing and it works fine there so the issue is the software not the reader hardware. 

What broke in thenew update that makes it fail on Android? 

The iPad ecosystem is too expensive so we want to stick with our working Android solution so telling me to just go buy an iPad is not helpful. 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Square Community Moderator

Hi there.

Sorry to hear about the trouble. Have you made sure that your Android device is updated to the latest version as well?

What happens when you attempt to link the reader to the device? 

Message 2 of 6

Reader connects but then fails to red. Done all teh various troubleshooting things. Was finally told that tablet is not supported. A previous list of the minimum Android operating system version on supported devices showed it was supported. Now have to go buy a whole new tablet.

Either suppor Android ro don't but don't take away functions. We really needed a nice Android solution.

Message 3 of 6
Square

Sorry to hear about the trouble, @RevolutionBrew. We do support hundreds of Android devices, but with thousands on the market we cannot guarantee compatibility with all of them unfortunately. Can you let me know which device you're using? You can also confirm your device's compatibility at squareup.com/compatibility.

Message 4 of 6

I get 4040 errors at that link. The page originally didn't' list any devices only what revs of Android you support. It's a Kindle Fire, nice inexpensive tablet.

Message 5 of 6
Square

Ah, thanks for specifying; we do not support Kindle Fire/Amazon tablets at this time, unfortunately.

We don't currently have plans to do so, but we would update here in the Community, if that should change in the future. Apologies for the experience, @RevolutionBrew!

Message 6 of 6