x

Defects with new square appointment app....

The new update is full of flaws.

1. After finishing a transaction the screen turns back to login screen, but turns from landscape mode to portrait mode, while still showing some of the pos screen on the side. You can't do anything but hit the home button on the ipad.

2. When doing the checkout from the appointment app, you can not use the chip reader, only swipe credit cards on the stand. Because the appointment app is trying to do the POS checkout now and not recognizing the chip reader. 

I did not have these problems before the update. I wish more beta testing was done first before the update. Now I have to hope my employees can work through these issues. 

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

I've spent about an hour this afternoon on the phone with support for the first bug you lifted up. The new app as a whole is VERY slow and occasionally when it finally catches up to what you're attempting to do it crashes. This has caused extreme frustration and a delay in our schedule for the day. More time messing around while attempting to checkout customers or book a new appointment has made all appointments late. We're now running 30-45 minutes behind schedule and it's all because of square. Today has been a scary reminder of the downside of depending on one company for so many criticial tools. I'm not thinking about jumping ship but it's going to be hard to talk the owner off the ledge. Last week it was the register stand no longer working. What's next?!?!

Message 2 of 14
Square Community Moderator

Hi @beardsandbeers and @Reemthebarber

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble you're both running into. 

@Reemthebarber when you spoke with Support, were they able to provide any fix or raise this to our Engineering team for investigating? 

@beardsandbeers Have you contacted our Support Team directly? 

Message 3 of 14

Yes, I had a lengthy conversation with one of the support agents by phone and then followed up with some documentation of the problems we're having.

Message 4 of 14

Glad to hear they were able to take a look with you @beardsandbeers

They should be able to pass the issues along to our Appointments team. If you need additional escalation or run into any new issues let me know. 

Message 5 of 14

The new appointments application continues to be VERY SLOW. The delay in touch response is causing a lot of frustration and mistakes. Just typing in an employee code is annoying.

Message 6 of 14

@beardsandbeers Have you tried reinstalling the app? I've been doing some testing on my end and the new Appointments app is running well so far. 

Try updating your device operating system and reinstall the app to see if that helps. 

Message 7 of 14

I was going to reinstall the app but it warned me I’d lose all my data... I can’t risk that. My check out feature will not let me use the chip reader, and the appointment reschedule button doesn’t show me my futer calendar so I don’t know what is open or unavailable. Plus, it lets me book the client where I’m not available. That’s not good. 

Message 8 of 14

Hi @DebFisherlmt

Your Square Appointments account settings and information is stored on our servers, so reinstalling shouldn't impact your account in any way. 

Message 9 of 14

The app is still running very slow for us. Anyone else experiencing this?

Message 10 of 14

Yes, most of the time I am unable to utilize the chip reader through my appointment “check out” mode. I then need to go into the original point of sale app to take payments which then doesn’t reflect that the client paid for services from the calendar. Frustrating, and hoping they get this fixed. I’ve deleted the app, then paired reader with iPad again, but that only helps it work about 20% of the time. 

Message 11 of 14

Hello @beardsandbeers, I recommend reaching out to our Appointments Support Team. They should be able to take a closer look at your account and determine what's happening. I'm a little curious, what kind of device are you using? 

@DebFisherlmt, could you tell me a little bit about your experience when trying to check out? Are you receiving an error message? Does the reader have one green light at the time of check out? 

Message 12 of 14

Hello Chad,

When I turn on my chip reader, I do see four green lights. I usually try to press the button again in case it may have timed out. I’m not receiving an error message while utilizing the Check Out mode, It just appears that my iPad is not communicating with my chip reader while in that Check Out mode. The program wants me key in the credit card number, or press one of several other payment options. 

When I then switch to my Point Of Sale app, everything works as it’s supposed to. 

Any suggestions other than deleting/installing/pairing which I’ve done already? I also have the latest IOS Version downloaded. Thank you. 

Message 13 of 14

Interesting @DebFisherlmt, it sounds like you might not have the reader paired to the Appointments App. Head to the settings and pair the reader using the same steps that you would use for Square Point of Sale. You'll need to pair the reader in each app to accept payments with it.

Please let me know how it goes! 🙂

Message 14 of 14