x

How do I load Square Gift Cards with funds?

I may be missing something obvious. I just received my starter pack of Gift Cards from eCardSystems (they are Square Compatible Gift Cards). 

I have added a $100 Gift Card in my Square Item Library. I am following the instructions to load the Card, but nothing happens when I swipe the Gift Card on the Magstripe.

What am I missing? I have tried disconnecting the Magstripe reader and re-connecting it. It works fine with credit cards. Just nothing happens when I swipe the Gift Cards.

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 49
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

Let's learn to load and issue a Square Gift Card via the Square Point of Sale app!

1. Start on your Checkout screen, then tap Library > Gift Cards.

2. Swipe or enter the 16-digit gift card number.

3. Select a default preset load value or if the option is enabled, enter a custom load amount.

• If you swipe the gift card, the amount will automatically load.

• If you manually enter the gift card number, tap Load.

4. To add additional items to the sale, tap the arrow to return to your item library or tap the keypad icon.

5. Tap Charge to complete the sale.
    Note: If you’re using a mobile device, or your tablet is being used in Portrait mode (vertically), tap Review Sale > Charge.

Learn more about Square Gift Cards here.

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 47 of 49
48 REPLIES 48

I have tried to follow directions in other member questions but those have not resolved my issue.  We purchased the plastic gift cards from the ecards site recommended by square and  I believe they are accounted for in my "back office" Square system but they are not showing up on the register screen.  I followed the process for adding an item and added an item "gift cards" with a variable price  I tried this with and without a SKU.  If I add the gift card to the customer cart it doesn't offer anywhere to program the card number in the system, only the price.  Any advice?

Message 43 of 49
Super Seller Alumni

Hey @mod-market150  - The Loading Gift Card Process changed a few years ago - there's a built in Gift Card Item, so you don't have to worry about creating gift card items.

You can set up default amounts through this link on your dashboard:

https://squareup.com/dashboard/gift-cards/settings

Then when it's time to Load a Gift Card, you would just tap on the Pre-made Gift Card Item in your item list, and follow the directions!

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Square Super Seller - I'm here to help!
Message 44 of 49

Thanks so much for your reply!  I can not locate a gift card item on my register screen so I added it as an item. I am clicking the "hamburger" menu on the bottom left of the register screen, then "items" and gift card does not appear automatically. I used the link you included in your reply and that screen looks like it's setup properly but it's not communicating with the register as far as I can tell

Message 45 of 49
Super Seller Alumni

Rather than going into the Menu and then Items (that's where you edit items), just tap on the button in the bottom center of the screen that looks like a list - that's your Items List (that you can ring up items from).

You can also add that Gift Card item to your Grid for easy access.

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Square Super Seller - I'm here to help!
Message 46 of 49
Alumni

Best Answer

Let's learn to load and issue a Square Gift Card via the Square Point of Sale app!

1. Start on your Checkout screen, then tap Library > Gift Cards.

2. Swipe or enter the 16-digit gift card number.

3. Select a default preset load value or if the option is enabled, enter a custom load amount.

• If you swipe the gift card, the amount will automatically load.

• If you manually enter the gift card number, tap Load.

4. To add additional items to the sale, tap the arrow to return to your item library or tap the keypad icon.

5. Tap Charge to complete the sale.
    Note: If you’re using a mobile device, or your tablet is being used in Portrait mode (vertically), tap Review Sale > Charge.

Learn more about Square Gift Cards here.

Valentina
Message 47 of 49
Beta Member

Ok say some one buys a gift card and does the funds come from my bank account or theres and what price does ppl sell the gift cards for im new to gift card loading etc 

Message 48 of 49
Square Community Moderator

Hi @Mattsims458 - Welcome back to The Seller Community, thanks for stopping by 😊

Great Question.

If a customer purchases a gift card from you the funds would come from their account as if they were making the purchase of a good. You sell the gift cards for the amount that will be loaded on the gift card.

Learn all about Square gift cards here.

As always, feel free to stop by The Community with question, concerns and even feature requests. We are more than happy to assist.

Ria
Message 49 of 49