x

My magstripe reader says "Reader Ready" but will not swipe or Chip

My Magstripe reader says "Reader Ready" but will not swipe nor read chips.  Obviously the software is recognizing the reader, but the reader is not working.  This is the second reader this has happened with.  They work for two weeks then stop.  I am then forced to manually enter cards, ensuring that I pay twice as much in fees. 
YES I HAVE TRIED THE TROUBLESHOOTING TIPS, but my reader is connected and ready, so connection is not an issue. 

I was telling my husband how great Square App is and trying to convince him to use Square for our entire restaurant, but after this card reader issue, TWICE, I feel like support is not taking this issue seriously, especially when ignoring it generates them twice the fees.  

I have read through this forum and see that I am clearly not the only one experiencing these issues.  I suggest charging a flat fee for swiped or manually keyed in transactions, or putting out a reader that works and is reliable.

I would appreciate any helpful suggestions.  PLease don't post the troubleshooting tips again

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

We are also experiencing issues with the chip reader not working today, in addition to the swipe on the square stand. This is not an issue of being on the most recent iOS which is causing so many problems.  Nobody is answering the phones for Square Support. So frustrating!!

Message 2 of 4
Square Community Moderator

Hi @ultimocoffee

Have you tried any troubleshooting steps thus far? Was there any specific error message coming up for you?

With more details, we might be able to help get your chip reader back up and running. 

This article has helped a few sellers in the past if you haven't checked it out already: 

Square Chip Card Reader Tips and Troubleshooting

Message 3 of 4
Square Community Moderator

@SpanosInc Thanks for raising this to us, and I'm sorry to hear this continues to happen to you. Were you using the Magstripe reader or the Chip Card reader? 

Glad to hear you've done all of the troubleshooting tips already, as that rules out the common fixes for reader trouble. 

I know you've done so already, but I want to assure you that our CS Team will do all that they can to get you back up and running. They'll even replace the reader itself if need be. 

Message 4 of 4