x

Offline mode doesn't kick in when I am offline.

Hi,

I've experienced 2 to 3 network outages in my area since I purchased Square Register. And all of those times when my wifi wasn't working, the offline mode on my square register never kicked in.(the mode was turned on) I had to manually go in to settings to forget the network or turn off wifi to make the register Recognize that it is in fact offline.  Why is this? Shouldn't it happen automatically?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Admin

Hi @Lils27,

Thanks for surfacing this and sorry to hear about the trouble you've been encountering with Offline Mode—that sounds like it shouldn't be happening.

If you don't have any pending payments, please give these additional troubleshooting tips a run-though: Wi-Fi Troubleshooting. If those don't resolve this issue next time around, please let our Customer Success Team know. They'll be able to take a deeper dive into your settings and escalate internally for further review.

Hope this helps clear things up! Please let me know if you have any further questions.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 2 of 7

I have the same problem with Square not going into offline mode. Offline mode is enabled.

I have an ethernet printer so I have my Square Stand 2 and my printer plugged into a router so I don't lose the printer when my internet modem connection is down. However, now I can't get Square to switch over to processing offline if the internet connection to the router is down. The stand can see a functioning network, just not out to the internet. I get the message that the internet is down and Square refuses to process payments.

Message 3 of 7
Square Community Moderator

Hi @semvaart,

Thanks for reaching out to flag this with us, and sorry to hear you're encountering this issue with Offline Mode.

When using an Ethernet printer, it's not always necessary to connect the Square Stand to Ethernet, and issues might be resolved by switching back to a Wi-Fi connection. Here are additional steps to troubleshoot the issue:

Switch to Wi-Fi on your Square Stand:

Consider switching the Square Stand back to a Wi-Fi connection and see if this resolves the problem. You can then turn off your modem to test the Offline Mode function.

Enable Local Network Access:

In your device, check Settings > Square > Local Network. Ensure this option is toggled ON to enable Square's access to your local network, which will allow you to connect to network printers.

Relaunch Square App:

After toggling ON Local Network access, close and relaunch the Square app to ensure the changes take effect.

Reinstall Point of Sale App:

If the issue persists, and you don't have any pending offline payments, consider deleting and reinstalling the Square Point of Sale app. This can help refresh the app and resolve any potential software glitches.

Remember to test the system after each step to see if the issue is resolved. If the problem persists, I would recommend reaching out to Square Support with specific details about your setup and any error messages received.

If you'd like to speak with our Support Team by phone, you can give us a call at 1-855-700-6000 between 6 am - 6 pm Pacific Time Monday - Friday. You can also get in touch with our Messaging and Email Support Teams here: squ.re/contactsqsupport.

Laurie
Community Moderator, Australia, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 7

Thanks, but we're not changing anything about the wireless connection for the Square Stand. We're just creating a local network that can talk wireless there and also talk to ethernet for the printer.

I think this takes us down to "reinstall the Square application on the iPad." We'll hope the internet is less flaky this coming week with holiday traffic.

Message 5 of 7
Square Community Moderator

Please let us know how you go with these troubleshooting steps, @semvaart

Message 6 of 7

We have had some internet outages since I reported this. It now seems that if we wait a few minutes, Square will ask if we want to go into offline mode. That works. When the internet comes back, Square will get back online automatically. It seems to be working now.

Message 7 of 7