x

Receipt Sent to the Wrong Email Address

I receintly had a client make a purchase and I processed her payment through square. The payment was linked  to another business that she has used her same card with that also has a square account. This other business received noticed of her transaction with me and denied it thinking it was a charge against their account. Why would my square be sending other companies that my client has done business with information about her transactions with me?

Message 1 of 3
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

Hmmm... that's a little odd. I want to make sure I'm seeing this correctly:

Your customer purchased something in your store with a card she used at another Square merchant, and that merchant received the emailed receipt instead of your customer?

If that's what happened, the only idea I have is that one of the employees (or the owner) at the other merchant got to the receipt screen for your customer, didn't know what email to enter, and entered their own email instead of clearing the receipt screen. This means that merchant's email is linked to the card instead of your customer's email. Give Customer Support a call with the transaction information, and they can clear the email from the card.

Ryan Wanner
Golden Pine Coffee Roasters
Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Super Seller: I know stuff.
Beta Tester: I break stuff.
he/him/hey you/coffee guy/whatever.

Happy Selling!

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Super Seller

Best Answer

Hmmm... that's a little odd. I want to make sure I'm seeing this correctly:

Your customer purchased something in your store with a card she used at another Square merchant, and that merchant received the emailed receipt instead of your customer?

If that's what happened, the only idea I have is that one of the employees (or the owner) at the other merchant got to the receipt screen for your customer, didn't know what email to enter, and entered their own email instead of clearing the receipt screen. This means that merchant's email is linked to the card instead of your customer's email. Give Customer Support a call with the transaction information, and they can clear the email from the card.

Ryan Wanner
Golden Pine Coffee Roasters
Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Super Seller: I know stuff.
Beta Tester: I break stuff.
he/him/hey you/coffee guy/whatever.

Happy Selling!
Message 2 of 3

If I understand this correctly, what you have described is an intolerable breach of privacy.

For example, suppose I, the merchant, take Mr. Jones's payment information overt the phone and enter into one of my Checkout Links. In the email field, rather than fuss with his email address, I enter mine.  This links his credit card to MY email address.

In the following weeks, I now get all his receipts from other Square merchants.

"Oh my, Mr. Jones shopped at my competitor!"

"Oh my, Mr. Jones is going to a B&B next week."

"Oh, that's good, he got someone to feed his cat."

"Oh my, he has refilled his erectile dysfunction medication."

... and so on.

Is this really how it works?

Message 3 of 3