x

Square shuts down when I click on settings

I am having issues with my chip card reader as it was not being recognized. I deleted it as I have in the past and now when I go back into settings it shuts Square down. I am using a magstripe swiper and it works with a Samsung Galaxy View Tablet. No issues for a while and have always been able to go to settings and re-add it. The message is, "Unfortunately, Square Point of Sale has stopped." Also happens when I go to Support. Chip card reader works on my galaxy phone so it is not the reader. Please help as this is causing issues with checking out customers on busy timeframes.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Admin

Hey @redbirdtom🐦 

Just to get some clarity here, this is happening with your Magstripe Reader but not your Contactless + Chip Reader (bluetooth connection)?

If so, have you tried these troubleshooting steps? Let me know! 👩🏼‍💻

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 2 of 6

Really, the first sentence says, "I am having issues with my chip card reader as it was not being recognized." The magstripe reader is working fine. I have spent hours on your site trying to figure this out. Please help me. Again, when I go to re-add the contactless chip card reader and go to Settings, it stops the program as stated. I deleted the program from the tablet and it is still doing it. Again, this was working up to about 2-3 weeks ago and I have had your service since July 2017 with no issues.

Message 3 of 6
Square Community Moderator

Hi @redbirdtom - stepping in here for Isabelle in her absence. Thanks for clarifying for us, your post was unclear which chip card reader you were using in-particular, since you stated specifically that you were using the magstripe reader.

It sounds to us like there may be a pending software update for either your Square POS application or for your mobile device itself. Would you mind giving a try to these specific troubleshooting steps? They will guide you through the update process.

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 6

I deleted the app from my tablet before sending my message. Your video is of no help as it says to force quitting the app by going to settings to do it. I CANNOT DO THIS as it is kicking my out of the program.

I can use the chip card unit (Not the Madstripe) on my android phone as it gives me the settings function to add hardware. I cannot get to this part of the software. Please, Please help and quit asking me to review videos that go to fast to follow.

On a side note, how do I find my account number. Very secretive to find this out, which makes no sense. 

Message 5 of 6
Square Community Moderator

Hey @redbirdtom - I'm sorry to hear that the suggestions provided have not worked for you. Through this platform, It can be challenging to troubleshoot hardware. For a better experience, please give us a call here. We'd be happy to walk you through additional troubleshooting steps. 

Have a good day! 

Sayra
Community Moderator, Square // Moderadora de la Comunidad, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 6 of 6