x

Star TSP100 143IIU does not turn on

I have Android 7.0 tablet with USB OTG adapter. When I connect the printer it won't power on and the Square app does not see it. 

Yes, I tried the troublshooting sequence (check cables, turn on and off and reinstall Square app. What is next? Switch to another POS?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

We have had the exact same issue for a couple years without resolution. When our printer doesn't respond and I don't see it in the Square settings, I unplug the cable from the bottom of the Square Stand and wait a couple seconds and then plug it back in. That seems to "wake up" the printer about 60% of the time. Sometimes you have to repeat that process a few times for it to work, and unfortunately, we have to do this every 3 or 4 transactions. We also noticed that the issues are worse when we plug in our chip reader to the hub. The issue appears to be communication between the square stand and the hub itself. We have replaced the iPad, the stand, the hub, and the printer... the issues never went away, so after 2 years of frustration, we are currently looking at other options for replacing our POS system with another provider. Everything about the Square system has been fine except these constant hardware issues that, looking at these forums, appear to be VERY common.

All that being said, I think Square is fine for the very small business that has low customer volume and can deal with the frustrations that inevitably come with their rampant hardware issues. The software systems are great (with the exception of the lack of the ability to have the customer's name automatically printed on their receipts without having to manually add it as a note), so if you can deal with the rest of the frustrations it's not a terrible option. But now, with more providers out there, and some with significantly lower transaction rates, we feel like it's a good time to shop around.

Message 2 of 7
Square Community Moderator

Hi @alexr

For your specific setup (Android with a USB On-The-Go adapter to printer), it might be best to reach out to Star Micronics Support.

Did you make sure your Android device is fully up to date and running the latest version of the Android operating system?

Other than that, it sounds like you're doing everything right from the Square side of things. 

@BridgeChurch For your setup (Square Stand with USB Printer), this sounds like it's a connectivity issue between the iPad and the Square Stand itself, which would cause what you're describing to happen. 

We can walk through a few things with you if you give our Support Team a call. Hopefully we can make things right for you. 

Message 3 of 7

I have been experiencing the same problem. I use IPad though. 

Message 4 of 7
Square Community Moderator

@BambuRC What troubleshooting steps have you taken? Often times our Support Team is able to diagnose where the connectivity issue is occurring. 

From my experience, the most common would be either the lightning pin on the Square Stand is a bit bent out of shape, or the USB Accessories Hub is damaged. 

Message 5 of 7

Having the same issues! It's happening a little too often now. The cash drawer wont even open. We've tried all of these helpful tips. This needs to be fixed ASAP 

Message 6 of 7
Alumni

Hey @SBOY - Sorry to hear that you're running into this issue as well. I recommend reaching out to our CS team as EJ mentioned above so that they can take a closer look for you and alert our engineers, if necessary.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 7 of 7