x
Beta Member

Timecard Totals not adding up

I've called support and discussed this issue in the past, but to date it appears that the issue is not being addressed.

On some of our employee timecards, the Total Paid Hours does not equal the actual hours worked.  There is usually a 1 min +/- discrepency for 1-2 employees.  The time card hours are correct, but the total hours is incorrect.  If you add up the totals in this example, the actual total hours is 41.41, however Square reports 41.42...extra minute.  Some timecard totals are less 1 minute.  Employee pay accuracy is important and I'm surprised at the lack of attention to this.  -1 minute every pay cycle would underpay an employee 26 minutes, or +1 minute and the employer is overpaying.  If you have a lot of employees, this quickly adds up.

Screen Shot 2018-12-24 at 5.04.35 AM.png

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Super Seller Alumni

Hey @VCB 

Are you sure it’s off my a minute and not just rounded up by 1/100th of a minute?

Square total paid hours are shown as decimals (out of 100) with two decimal places, meanwhile hours are out of 60. When you convert minutes out of 60 to decimals out of 100, you have to round the last digit. 

In your example you show someone with 6.67 hours. I’m guessing this person worked 6 Hours and 40 minutes. 

This should be 6.6666666666666..... forever, which rounds to 6.67. 

But if you run the math backwards on 6.67 it gives you 6 Hours and 40 minute and 12 seconds. 

For the other employee with 6.58 hours, if you do the math out it gives you 6 hours and 34 minutes and 48 seconds. Ihow many hours did they actually work?

So yes, you’re theoretically overpaying employees by seconds (in this case 12 seconds up or down) but it’s almost impossible to do it feasibly in any other way. 

Hope this makes sense and would love to see more about what’s happening here!

Pesso

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Square Super Seller - I'm here to help!
Message 2 of 4
Super Seller

I think you nailed it with what is happening @pessosices.  1/100th of hour increments is correct to how Square is measuring hours. 

Message 3 of 4
Beta Member

We also use Homebase for creating our timecards, and the totals match perfectly in Homebase.

Message 4 of 4