x
Beta Member

Where did the "Edit" button go?

Is anyone else missing the "edit" button from the home screen on app?  It was there 10 minutes ago..  ???

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 80
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: Is anyone else missing the edit button from the home screen on app?

Update: In the latest update of Square Register, we introduced the "Quick Create Items for Sale" feature to address everyones feedback. This feature will allow you to create an item "on the fly," and then it will automatically be added to your sale. This not only saves you a step, it gives back the functionality everyone in this thread enjoyed. This feature has been rolled out to every seller. 

Thanks for everyones' feedback and patience as we worked through this together. 😀

Thanks so much for sharing your feedback.

The Items applet was a feature that was released recently for iPads, as you all have noticed. As a bit of background, this feature debuted on Square Register for Android devices more than a year ago. This latest update for the iPad version of Square Register brought our software into line with one another. Our Product Team did consider how this could cause a little bit of confusion, so we included a post-update pop-up for sellers.  From the sounds of it, it seems like the biggest issue is the lack of ability to search by SKU inside the Item's applet. This has been a popular feature request for quite some time now, and even brought to our attention in another community thread. It sounds like a workaround was to add the item to a current sale, and then to edit it. I didn't even think of this work around when I responded in the other thread! I can definitely see how this has created extra work for many of you, and I'm very sorry for the inconvenience.  

We have been in touch with our Product team about this change, and they agreed that this is feedback that they definitely want to address. In regards to the ability to search for items using the barcode scanner, they've increased the priority of this bug to get this addressed ASAP. As far as adding the ability to create items from a current sale, we'll continue to discuss a path forward that addresses your concerns for ease of editing. I'll be sure to update this thread if I hear anything more . 

79 REPLIES 79

When will the edit button return? The new system is very inconvenient. Please update on the edit button - not interested in barcode info. 

Message 43 of 80

That's what I'd like to know. Just switched to a new iPad and the EDIT button is no longer there. Deleted the "old" register link and downloaded a new one... Still NO Edit button! I NEED this button! Anyone have anwers to this? Square?

Message 44 of 80

I spoke with product manager in Friday. The "Edit" button and functionality should be back in the software when the new release comes out this week. 

Thanks to all of us who have complained endlessly, I believe we will have our "Edit" button back !!!

Rob

Message 45 of 80
Square

@RobRo - Just wanted to help clarify here. While it sounds like a fix is in the works soon, we don't have an exact timeframe to share at this point. However, the Product Manager working on this did share that it should be available in our beta version of Square Register very soon. 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 46 of 80

"We" are not working on this "together"! Square took one of the most valuable tools (Edit button!) away without so much as a word!! I consistently add new items, need to delete when sold, alter prices as vendors change theirs, etc..... This is completely uncalled for and is a VERY BAD move!! You are not only cutting our sales but yours as well. Big company/Banking types seem to have no qualms about messing with something of value without even letting us know. Put the button back, now.

Message 47 of 80

And now well be guinea pigs for the Beta version. Wonderful.

Message 48 of 80
Super Seller

So those of us without the beta version do what? How hard is it to push something out with the edit button back?

My app freezing and crashing is just getting worse.

My Girlfriend's Wardrobe est. 2012

Preston & jayne est. 2023

Downtown York Pa

Square user since 2012
Message 49 of 80
Square

@alexandriak - Anyone can use the beta app. It's very easy to install and sign in. I'll share more details once this version is available for download. 

Sean
he/him/his
Message 50 of 80
Square

Hey everyone! I wanted to offer an exciting update regarding the barcode functionality. In the latest version of the Square Register app that was released today (Version 4.49), you can now use your barcode scanner within the Items tab to quickly locate an item. I know this was a big pain point and our engineers worked really hard to hustle this into this app release. Please let me know if you have any issues using this new feature after you update. 

On a side note, we're actively working on changes to address everyones feedback around the removal of the "Edit" button. If you're interested in testing that solution out for us, please let me know so I can get you enrolled in our beta. 

Sean
he/him/his
Message 51 of 80
Super Seller

With the newest update, our item managment has become quite difficult and cumbersome. Maybe I am missing something, but it seems to be less intuitive than anything Square has ever done. There doesn't seem to be a way to use a barcode scanner to pull up an items edit screen instantly anymore, I now have to search for it. We have about 1,000 products (some with similar names), and there is not always time to  manually scroll through pages and pages of items just to change its price, or edit its name. I understand that not everything makes it onto the priority list when considering an update, but if I had known more specifically about this part of the update, I would have hesitated to install it.

Is there any way to roll-back the square app?

Message 52 of 80
Square

Hi @LocavoreStore — Please check out this thread for more details. On a side note, if you update to the newest version of Register, barcode functionality will be restored. 👍

Sean
he/him/his
Message 53 of 80
Super Seller

Thank you so much Sean... And all the developers working on this! You guys rock!

Message 54 of 80

I don't have a launch or edit button I ask myself why bother when things keep getting worse and I have android it's no better it's just the system and changes are not working it sounds like square needed to close up shop and go home to many problems and no answers for any one 

Message 55 of 80

This is getting really old... I will not update square again until the EDIT button is returned. It scares me to do anything else. Just about ready to look elsewhere. I liked Square but what we seem to be getting is a runaround. How hard is it to put that button back? We have work to do and this is a real pain! Do your other stuff on the side until you get it worked out, but give us the edit button. I dont care to be a beta guinea pig. PUT THE DANG BUTTON BACK! And please dont require us to go to the site to do our editing! 

Message 56 of 80
Super Seller

@Wagonwheel you do realize that square has millions of customers between Square register and Square cash. They handled 36 Billion dollars in transactions in 2015 in Square register alone.  So I think they obviously are doing something right and don't need to close up shop.  This maybe something that wasn't working right for you but they updated it to restore the barcode functionality in less than 4 weeks.

Message 57 of 80

PLEASE BRING IT BACK! 🙂

Message 58 of 80
Square

Hey everyone! We are currently looking for a few more volunteers to help test out our new feature to address the creation of items within a sale. It wouldn't require you to download our beta app, you'll just have to keep quiet about the feature prior to the official launch, as well as forward feedback directly to our product team. Please let me know if this is something you'd be interested in helping with. Also, if you have already expressed interest - you will be getting an email with more instructions later today. 

Sean
he/him/his
Message 59 of 80

Hey Sean! Still no "Edit" button! Don't care about the other stuff - just put the edit button back on the category pages! Also having some other problems that I did not have before. Your last update was a total screw-up! Not happy - looking for other options!

Message 60 of 80
Square

@CCC2513 - While I don't believe there are currently any plans to bring back the "Edit" button, did you catch my previous post? We do have a new feature we're testing out now to address this functionality. Would you be interested in being part of the group of sellers giving feedback to our Product Team about it? Also, I'd would love to hear about the other issues you're experiencing. If they're bugs, we can certainly report them to our engineering team. 

Sean
he/him/his
Message 61 of 80
Super Seller

Hey Sean. I'd love to try out that beta feature that you mentioned.

Message 62 of 80
Square

@LocavoreStore - Awesome! I'll send your details along to the product manager. She should reach out to you over email within the next couple days with more details. 

Sean
he/him/his
Message 63 of 80