x

How do I re-order or re-sort the items in my library? I don't want them in alphabetical order.

Message 1 of 35
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: How do I re-order or re-sort the items in my library? I don't want them in alphabetical order.

Appreciate the question! As you mentioned, items are ordered alphabetically. The ability to manually sort items isn't currently a feature of our system, but I definitely see how it could be useful. There are a few workarounds for merchants with smaller libraries, like adding 1-10 or A-X before the item name, but this isn't a great solution.

I will be sure to pass along your feedback to our Product Liaison Team. 

1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

Hi @OHB - thanks for writing in. I'm afraid there's no way to customize the order of your items - by default they are placed in numerical order first, then alphabetized thereafter. Looks like you have the best workaround for this. 

However, it's strange that your 4 digit items are coming before the 3 digit items. Have you talked to our Support Team to look more into this?

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 22 of 35
34 REPLIES 34
Square

Appreciate the question! As you mentioned, items are ordered alphabetically. The ability to manually sort items isn't currently a feature of our system, but I definitely see how it could be useful. There are a few workarounds for merchants with smaller libraries, like adding 1-10 or A-X before the item name, but this isn't a great solution.

I will be sure to pass along your feedback to our Product Liaison Team. 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 2 of 35
Super Seller Alumni

Speaking of alphabetical order - I noticed that things aren't in numerical value order but rather by number order.

For example, my items list sorts the numbers 1, 2, 5, 10, 25, 50 in this order:

Super frustrating.

I know I can add a 0 before, but when it's dollar amounts writing $01, $05, doesn't really work

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Square Super Seller - I'm here to help!
Message 3 of 35

Hello @pessosices, I hear you on this one. This brings out my inner OCD, I will make sure to pass your post along to the product team. Thank you for sharing you feedback on this. 

Message 4 of 35
Super Seller Alumni

Right? And confuses the heck out of my employees. 

Thanks! Hopefully a quick fix!

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Square Super Seller - I'm here to help!
Message 5 of 35

I nod and mumble in agreement to this request. Being able to sort items manually would be a huge help.

Message 6 of 35

Has Square found a solution for this issue? I was trying to figure this out as well but see that option is not available. Very frustrating since I do not have things in my inventory sorted alphabetically but numerically so I use the SKU# option but realized this is not helpful either. Very frustrating. Please let us know as soon as someone knows something please!

Message 7 of 35

Hello @Momma_Iris, we're still in the process of collecting feedback for this feature request. I'm still tracking this thread and if there are any updates I will make sure to provide them here. 

Message 8 of 35

How is this thread almost 2 years old and the changes haven’t been implemented?!  Is there not an overriding code that allows users to manually adjust the order of things?  This is true in the modifier feature...you can only down and move modifiers up or down in the stacking order.  Seriously!,,

Message 9 of 35

The simplest solution would be to just keep the order of an import. Even if you build your library within the UI you could export, open the file in excel/google docs/notepad/textedit/etc, reorder, and then import.

Message 10 of 35

I also have many items in a subcategory and the only way to order them is manually. They are NOT in alphabetical order but I would like them to be. Please help!

Message 11 of 35
Admin

Sorry for the frustration, @nineneedles. I went to check for updates on this request and there isn't anything that I can access and share out right now.

Hopefully, the suggested workaround in this thread helps get you where you need to be, or you may consider setting up a grid—if you have a tablet, you can use the grid feature to manually order your items on your screen.

Please do keep in touch and lest us know if anything else comes up in the meantime.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 12 of 35

The grid is fine but I've got 40+ items that are in disarray, unless I drag each and every one into alphabetical order. very tedious when you can only see a few at a time on screen. Automatic alphabetization of item lists seems pretty elementary and I'm really suprised Square can't figure it out! Will keep futzing with it until there is an update. 

Message 13 of 35
Admin

Got it—I apologize for the frustration with getting this set up. While I don't have another suggestion on hand, I'll be surfacing your experience with our Point of Sale team. We will circle back with any developments that may help streamline this process.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 14 of 35

SOOO very frustrating with the lack of this feature as well. There has to be a way to be able to click a small button on my computer to auto sort alphabetically without having to export, sort then import data. 

Import/Exporting is such a pain as well.... There are so many errors when you export and there are variations, the description is only kept at one item and don't get placed on each of the variations, so when you try to export (back to Square) it states that all descriptions in the same item name need to be the same, so I have to copy and paste. PAINFUL.

Message 15 of 35
Admin

Thanks for sharing your experience, @rimcountrysoap. There is definitely room for improvement when it comes to our import/export feature. We appreciate you surfacing this so we can take it back to our Product Teams.

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 16 of 35

Has there been any work on this?  I want my items ordered by dollar amount. I have over 100 items, and I can't find the correct one  fast enough when I'm selling in person, which is frustrating for my clients and me.  There has got to be a way to order items by price.  It seems all shopping websites do this, so why can't the square app?

Message 17 of 35
Admin

Hi @marytw53. We definitely hear the Community when it comes to this feature request. @Tom's workaround that he mentioned above- setting your items up in the Grid how you want them to be displayed- is the best route to take at this time.

Our Product Teams do their best to prioritize the many feature requests they receive. If and when this feature becomes available, we'll be sure to update here in the Seller Community. 

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 18 of 35

Has any progress been made on this?
I do have several sub-categories and trying to find the correct one in a hurry is not easy. I use to program and a simple alphabetize should not be that difficult. Pretty please make this available!
It makes it more difficult since I use this for my website as well, so my sub-categories aren't in alphabetical order for my customers either and it looks sporadic and unprofessional. 

I had seen mention of the workaround, but I also know that (as someone else mentioned) the import/export don't always go as planned and I'm afraid to mess everything up. 

Message 19 of 35
Square Community Moderator

This is still a feature request, unfortunately, but I really do see the urgency to be able to sort your items by something other than alphabetical order. 

I know that import/export tool can really seem daunting, but you can definitely export your item library without it affecting your items that live in the dashboard, then filter and order the items as preferred from there. The changes only happen when you import the exported file back into your library :).

Another suggestion I can offer is filtering your items by category, then searching for the item name. This will only pull items within that category instead of every item in your library with that series of numbers/letters searched. I know that this isn't exactly the solution you are looking for, but it can save time!

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 20 of 35

So the issue I was having was specifically with the number sorting. It was not numerical but by the specific numbers. This was highly frustrating because most of my products go by numbers. sometimes my 4 digit numbers were coming before 3 digits, and made no sense for my point of sale. 

The best work around I have found was to add periods before the number. My products only went up to 4 digits. so my 1 digit items had 3periods "...". My 2 digit items had 2 periods "..". My 3 digit items had 1 period "." and my 4 digit items had no periods. This then allowed my digits to be in numerical order and the rest of my items followed. 

for example 1500 came before 175 and 10 so i made it "..10", ".175" "1500". it then fell in order properly. 

It looks a little weird and might sound confusing how I explained it lol, but it seems to work and the numbering isnt too confusing for my staff like before. I hope this helps anyone in the mean time while square is looking to resolve this issue...

Message 21 of 35