x

Duplicate Invoice - both marked as Paid

I have a duplicate invoice that is showing an account paid cash twice.  I mistakenly did this.  How do I delete one of them?

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Admin

Hey @vicki_renfro, welcome and thanks for bringing this up!

At this time the ability to remove or delete a paid invoice from your history isn't available. For now, the best option is to issue a refund for the duplicate invoice. It'll still show up in your payment history, but your reporting will balance out.

If an invoice is unpaid, you can cancel it, which will remove it from your Invoices tab. Find more information on this in our Support Center: Send Invoices Online with Square.

Rest assured that I'll be sharing your post with our Product Liaison team, who is always working to improve our products based on seller feedback. Please let us know if you have any further questions. 🙂

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 2 of 9

I have 2 situations like this, from entering invoices on checks already written. 1 person shows 2 invoices on the download, the other shows 3. This gives me $435 too much income showing.

Message 3 of 9
Admin

Thanks for checking in, @Reg1Convention. To be sure we're on the same page, I'd like to get a deeper understanding on how you're issuing these invoices. Does the reporting issue happen when you're making in-person sales or are you sending the invoice via email?

In addition, this nuance with recording invoice payments may help clear this up going forward: Why aren't Square Invoice cash payments showing up in Cash Drawer Management reports? Let me know if that helps or if any questions remain!

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 4 of 9

I called in today, and we determined that the invoices were under different names, but those names were hiding! To get to them, I had to click on the 1st individual's name in the invoice list, then click on her name in the panel that opens on the right. This would then let me see a list of all the invoices under that person's name.  That's the point that the other names showed up, and all became clear.

I believe it was simply an error in entering data on my part. They were in the first few invoices I entered, and I think I just did it wrong. The situation is now resolved to my satisfaction, and thank you for all the help your folks give to us clueless callers!

Message 5 of 9
Admin

@Reg1Convention

Glad you were able to get this figured out, and really happy our Support team could clarify it for you. 

😍

kellyj
Technical Program Manager: AI
Square Inc
Message 6 of 9
Beta Member

Actually, I have this same issue where I have duplicate invoices that were paid by check. When I go to do a refund, I get a screen that says:
Refund to: Check
AND
"By issuing this refund, I authorize Square to debit the refund amount from my outstanding Square Balance, or, if those funds are unavailable, the bank account linked to my Square account."

Before moving forward, I want to confirm that since the invoice was paid via check, no funds will be automatically refunded to my customer from my Square account or bank account.

Thanks in advance!

Scott
Message 7 of 9
Square Community Moderator

Hi there @plastercarousel

That is correct. However, if you'd like to walk through the process with a Customer Success advocate just to ensure that everything goes smoothly, you definitely can! https://squ.re/2LW3Gz3

Options to contact Square are here: squ.re/howtocontact

Ellie
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 8 of 9
Beta Member

Thanks. That did the trick!

The only thing is that it shows as a refund against my sales today. Not a huge deal but it would be cool if I had the option to specify the date that the duplicate entry happened so that it aligned with the date I made the mistake. 

Scott
Message 9 of 9