x

Cannot make sales with chip reader?

Only the tap will work on my reader with debit cards.  Tap works as does the chip with credit cards only.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

I tried tapping my pad but nothing happens

Message 2 of 4
Alumni

Hi @Moe1950 -

I'm sorry, it sounds like you weren't able to complete a payment with the Contactless + Chip Card reader. Have you made sure to follow all of the steps to connect the reader? If you have everything connect, please check the troubleshooting steps I shared with @pderuiter here on this thread.

Please double check and let me know if you still need help. 

Message 3 of 4
Alumni

Hi @pderuiter

With the Contactless + Chip Card reader, you can accept Interac Debit Tap payments, contactless credit cards, Apple Pay, Android Pay, and chip credit cards (note: Interac Debit chip cards are not supported at this time). 

If you are attempting to process a supported payment method, please make sure your reader is operating correctly by following these steps:

• Ensure you are using a supported device.
  • Force quit and reopen the Square Point of Sale app.
  • Delete and reinstall the Square Point of Sale app (note: if you’ve recently accepted payments while in Offline Mode and haven’t uploaded them, don’t delete and reinstall the app as this will cause you to lose these transactions. Connect your mobile device to the Internet to complete these payments before deleting the app).
  • Turn your device off and back on.
  • If the reader and device are more than 10ft apart, the reader will have trouble maintaining a consistent connection. Move your reader and device closer when in use.

If these tips don’t solve the trouble, force shutdown your reader. To do so, follow the steps below:

• Plug in the reader for at least 20 minutes to be sure it’s charged.
  • While the reader is charging, use a bobby pin, pen cap, or paper clip to firmly press and hold the button on the reader for 20 seconds.
  • After 20 seconds, release the button and wait 10 seconds.
  • Press the button again to turn the reader on and observe any lights on the reader.
  • If the reader lights turn on, you’re all set. If the lights don’t turn on, please try again and make sure to firmly press and hold the reader’s button for a full 20 seconds.

These steps should get you up and running. Feel free to complete a $1 test transaction to make sure you have everything connected correctly. 

Message 4 of 4