x

How can I correct a 1099-K form for the current tax year (2017)?

We need to get a corrected 1099 K form, as the details don't reflect the correct EIN. What steps do we take?

Message 1 of 50
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

Happy to help provide some guidance here. To receive an updated 1099-K form from, you'll need to follow these steps:

1. Update your business taxpayer information on your Square Dashboard. You'll need to ensure that the system accepts the tax identification number and name combination. 

2. After editing your information and clicking Save, the 1099-K form should automatically update. You can confirm this by downloading the form available on that page. If you're getting an error message, please double check with your EIN assignment letter if you're not using your name and SSN. 

Hope this helps! 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 50
49 REPLIES 49
Square

Best Answer

Happy to help provide some guidance here. To receive an updated 1099-K form from, you'll need to follow these steps:

1. Update your business taxpayer information on your Square Dashboard. You'll need to ensure that the system accepts the tax identification number and name combination. 

2. After editing your information and clicking Save, the 1099-K form should automatically update. You can confirm this by downloading the form available on that page. If you're getting an error message, please double check with your EIN assignment letter if you're not using your name and SSN. 

Hope this helps! 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 2 of 50

I just updated my EIN in my Square Account Settings and attempted to print a NEW 1099.  It is still showing MY SSN.  Can I get a new 1099 with accurate EIN?

Message 3 of 50
Admin

Hey @ob1, thanks for flagging this and sorry to hear about the confusion. We'll need to have a team member take a deeper dive into your account. Please get in touch with our Support Team and they'll make sure this gets sorted out.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 4 of 50

I have the same issue, the 1099 from 2019 is showing my SSN instead of the EIN number, I need to resolve this issue ASAP and there is no way to contact square. 

Message 5 of 50

How do I ensure that the system accepts the edit changes?  I tried to correct the name and EIN, but it wouldn't accept the changes.

Message 6 of 50
Alumni

Hey @jhawk - I would follow Tom's advice above and reach out to the team so that they can take a closer look at your account for you. They'll be able to advise on any further troubleshooting steps.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 7 of 50

I would like to know how to correct my address from last year's 1099-K form. We moved over two years ago, but I didn't notice that the address was still the old one. 

Message 8 of 50
Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @BethMacKinney 👋 Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Seller Community! Happy to have you join us here.

I've gone ahead and merged your post into an existing thread of Sellers who were also looking for information regarding editing a previous years 1099 form. Take a look at this Best Answer from Sean - he will walk you through the process.

Let us know if you have any remaining questions!

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 9 of 50
Beta Member

Sean,

Not letting me do this.  I need to update from my social security number to the business EIN for this year and then correct for years 2019, 2020 and 2021.  Who do I contact and/or who do I email?

Lindsay

Message 10 of 50
Square Community Moderator

Hello @Winchester,

We have escalated your case to our Tax team, here is your case number: 68661283. They can help you make the necessary changes to your past tax forms. When it comes to adding your EIN, this can easily be updated via your Square Dashboard under the Business Tab > Add

Please be on the lookout for a Square email.  

Sayra
Community Moderator, Square // Moderadora de la Comunidad, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 11 of 50

I have the same issue 2017, 2018, 2019, and 2020 1099's all are connected to a previous employee who set our Business act up with his name and social security and not our Tax ID. I have been trying to get square for a year to correct this and have provided all the necessary bank statements to prove the funds went into our business account along with correcting anything on our square account login page.  This still is not fix a year later and I can get no answers from anyone on your team. The previous employee is having a nightmare with the government and needs these documents asap to clear his name. Everytime I email square now they tell me the case is closed but when I just called they said its not. Please advise on this issue asap. 

Message 12 of 50

I signed my small business up for square in 2015. I used my name and SSN. All the income for the business was deposited in the business bank account and our tax professional paid all the appropriate taxes then. I received a letter from the IRS saying square submitted $40,000 (credit cards that we processed) as my personal income in 2015, and that I now owe like 18,000 in back taxes. How should I fix this?

Message 13 of 50
Super Seller

Square can correct a 1099-K. Check out this post for more information. I'd assume then that you could submit that to the IRS, but you'll want to talk with your accountant on how to proceed there.  https://www.sellercommunity.com/t5/Questions-How-To/How-can-I-correct-a-1099-K-form-for-a-previous-y...

Message 14 of 50

The same thing has happened to me. My accountant says I need a corrected 1099k in my name but square keeps telling me they are unable to provide a 1099k with a $0 balance. How did you solve this?

Message 15 of 50

I never got a $0 1099k in my name. I sent a letter to the IRS stating I erroneously entered my personal information instead of the business information, and that I retroactively changed the settings in square. I had been emailing square support, and they replied that they would send the corrected information to the IRS with their next batch in 3-4 months. I attached a copy of that email to my IRS letter, and I think I also was able to get a copy of the corrected form attached. The IRS replied that the matter was settled and everything was fine.
Message 16 of 50

Did you get letters from the New York State Department of Taxiation & Finance? My letters are coming from them not the IRS

Message 17 of 50
Admin

@Liusshanghai

I would suggest reaching out to a tax professional to advise you on the proper steps in correcting this with the state. 1099's are not able to be issued with a $0 balance, but a tax professional should be able to advise you what information to provide to clear this up.

You can read more about 1099k's, what qualifies an account for a 1099k, and other information here

kellyj
Technical Program Manager: AI
Square Inc
Message 18 of 50

My accountant is the one who told me to try and get the 1099k with a $0 balance since the mistake is made under my name and social the corrected one should be changed to $0. They have had the same case with other clients who have the same problem and their merchants are able to issue them the corrected 1099k in their name with a $0 balance but for some reason Squares system can’t generate it 

Message 19 of 50
Admin

@Liusshanghai

Frustrating for sure. I've created a case on your behalf and assigned it to a team member who has access to your account. They'll follow up with you via email so keep an eye out on your inbox!

kellyj
Technical Program Manager: AI
Square Inc
Message 20 of 50

Still have yet to receive a reply and now I have the Department of Taxiation and Finance sending me a letter stating that they have filed a tax warrant against me. This is so fustrating beyond belief. This is $10,000 that the state is claiming I owe them not $10 so I really need this fixed ASAP. My accountant showed me the same situation with their other client who uses American Express as a merchant and they were able to issue the fixed 1099k in their SSN with a $0 amount because thats what they needed to see not that the business EIN 1099k is fixed. 

Message 21 of 50