x

DNS settings for cloaked weebly shop and order emails

Weebly store emails, emails from customers that use the order form to contact me, order emails, and emails through my contact form on my Weebly website are constantly ending up in spam folders, even my own. 

I was once told by someone at Weebly that actually knew what they were talking about to change the DNS settings for the emails being sent to my customers from Weebly because Weebly uses another email service to handle shop, order, and contact emails, and that email handler was getting read as spam because of the way it was configured in the DNS settings. I went in and changed the DNS settings for the email as suggested by the customer support person to recognize Weebly's email handler as a real email and not spam and that seemed to clear up issues for a while, and have seen a huge drop in emails getting spammed. However, I am still sporadically getting emails from customers that are contacting me through their order form marked as spam and still occasionally get messages from customers asking where their order confirmation emails are (they are always in their spam folder). 

I would like to double-check the coding that I put into the DNS settings to make sure that it is written exactly as it needs to be as to have the emails recorded as not spam by most email services. 

I believe that the conversation that I had about dns settings for preventing weebly emails from getting spammed was with a support person named either Jake K or Joey K {a couple of the only helpful people I have ever spoken with from weebly in live chat. Live chat is currently down and only giving out "idle auto closure" messages after no responses from any support people, so I am hoping to make some headway with this question here in the forum. If nothing else can someone forward the transcript from those support people to my email. It would help if every chat session should have an auto emailed transcript for future reference by Weebly customers if that was the case I could simply search my emails and find this answer myself, but of course, being as obtuse as possible with customers seems to currently be Weebly's MO.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Square

Hi @Creature - I'm assuming the DNS tag that our agent recommended was an SPF text record. It looks like you have one which is set up to use the mail service we use for sending out store emails:

[redacted]. 3600 IN TXT "v=spf1 a mx include:sendgrid.net ~all"

There are other ways to set that up which you could try, though. MXToolBox has an SPF record generator; I would check some recent store emails you've gotten and look at the email headers to see the IP addresses used if you want to update the SPF record to include more, .e.g include:sendgrid.net include:editmysite.com, etc. I would not add more than 7 includes, since the record will fail to validate with the total number of lookups is more than that (lookups include "a", "mx", and "include", so the record as you have it right now has three lookups.

You could also try adding a DMARC record, although the purpose of that is to provide instructions to a recipient mail server on what to do if it can't validate an email.

By the way, I would add that doing something like this shouldn't really be necessary for anyone. Email deliverability relies on a lot of factors, and some mail providers are well, frankly beasts about accepting email. 

Message 6 of 5

Thanks @Adam 

I will look into whether I need to inlist some other methods to prevent my emails from getting spammed. Thanks for the info.

Am I correct in thinking that the search engines are able to crawl the Weebly forums? Either way, can you please remove my web address from your post. Thanks.

Message 6 of 5
Square

They are, and I edited my original post to redact your domain name - thanks for letting me know.

Message 6 of 5
Square

I also edited the other posts you flagged to remove your domain. If you find any others feel free to send me PM with links and I'll edit those.

Message 6 of 5