x

Heads Up!!! Before duplicating a site to update it READ THIS

If you:

1. have a large site you want to update, and
  2. you know the update is going to take days or weeks to complete
  3. you are tempted to duplicate the site, update it, unpublish your old site, and republish your newly updated on, READ THIS FIRST

DO NOT approach the problem in this manner as blog pages and promote DO NOT transfer to a new site, they remain with the old one.

To avoid disaster, do this instead.

1. Duplicate your current site
  2. Unpublish the site you want to update
  3. Temporarily publish the duplicated site
  4. Republish your original site when you've finished updating it and delete the duplicate.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Hello, and welcome! It's definitely good to be aware of what carries over on your site when it's copied. You can check out the details of it here as well.

Message 4 of 6

Wow @paulnic,

Good catch, I hope this isn't something you had to find out first hand though. Honestly this is totally something I would try to do figuring the blog might just be a faceplate of sorts and pop right back on after I'm done working on stuff.

Thanks for sharing this. I hope you don't mind if I add a little to it. I'm using Lazerus right now and what it does is constantly takes periodic records of form data from when you start typing to when you submit. It's works like Version Control but on your local hard drive. It does log constantly but you can manually turn it on and off and it provides a great safty net while you work on your site. Entries don't time out, they get pushed out. you can set the size of the database and once it's full the oldest entries start going. So you could look up something you wrote last month and see a few versions of it. It's saved me a few times and I thought it was worth mentioning to you all.

Hey @paulnic, good post and thank you

Message 4 of 6

Just to be safe: I plan to duplicate mce I'm y existing site, unpublish it, publish the duplicate site, then update the unpublished original, changing theme, deleting a whack of content and adding new additional and replacement contnent.

1. Will the unpublished original site preview normally (as I make updates)?

2. Once I'm satisfied with the updated original site, I can just publish it and unpublish the duplicate?

3. Am I missing anything?

Many thanks - pardon my paranoia, but this is my forst time at the wheel with Weebly and the site belongs to a group.

Message 7 of 6

For clarity: I plan to duplicate mce I'm y existing site should read I plan to duplicate my existing site
Message 7 of 6

Hello CAPS! That sounds about right, from what I can see here. I'd definitely recommend working on a copy of the site if you're not used to the potential changes.

Message 7 of 6