x

Inconsistent Custom HTML behavior

I am trying to get a basic table to display using DataTables. at first i thought that the issues have been due to my inexperience coding (im in my first week of learning to code in HTML/Javascript), but there seems to be some inconsistency with how the Custom HTML widget is behaving.

Republishing the same custom HTML code has resulted in one of at least three outcomes: either a table that looks like a basic DataTable, or a typical HTML table, or a typical HTML table with several \n characters above and below.

Another interesting behavior I observed once while playing around was that when editing the custom HTML, the text inside the box showed up as a continuous line of text with \n characters between the HTML tags.

Behavior seems inconsistent, but as of right now here are links to working (showing DataTables type table) and not working pages:

not working: http://greencoffeedirectory.weebly.com/hiddentestpage.html

working: http://greencoffeedirectory.weebly.com/hiddentestpage2.html

I believe i have the same code on both of these pages, as I simply copied "hiddentestpage" using the copy option in the page builder, and then renamed by appending a "2". but perhaps i messed something else up while troubleshooting.

is this user error or a bug?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Message 4 of 7

Thanks for the suggestion! I have tried it, and the functionality is too basic. I plan to go a little more complex with the actual application: i have about 150 rows of data to display once i get this working, and it will only grow. the simple tables I was describing, and have been playing with, are just for learning/illustration purposes.

Message 4 of 7

I think this may be a recent bug.  I have a website that consists entirely of tables (ranking tables updated monthly) and I encountered the \n\n\n behaviour for the first time today while updating January's rankings.  I last updated in the first week of January and did not encounter this.

I've also noticed that whatever the initial behaviour is, correct or corrupted, that table will display the same behaviour even if it is delted and the recreated elsewhere.  I therefore assume there has been some change in display interpretation of some html element in the last three weeks.  Exactly what that is, I cannot say.

Message 8 of 7

I get the same embedding by copy paste (kind of YouTube embedded code, an iframe...),

If it never work this mean there is too much to handle – do you do requests in your code ?

Try this:

• remove the script code,
  • refresh editor, try also to get your editor fresh
  • drop code element
  • re-paste ...!! it can reappear in the designer, bit if it succeed quickly publish it.

do you use chrome ? I get this problem on IE10

Have you tried to paste your code in a header type code, create a page on it

Then you can also add it in your script in iframe you reference this page…

Message 8 of 7

MoG, this approach does seem to be one workaround, but I dont always have to refresh the editor. Sometimes it is just as simple as pasting in a new HTML element. inconsistent behavior is so hard to troubleshoot!

I use firefox.

I don't completely understand how to implement the approach you suggest with the header and iframe... I'm still learning how to code and at the same time learn to implement code in the Weebly editor. If you wanted to provide more information on the steps, I could try that out.

Message 8 of 7

Thats interesting to know that the behavior started recently. I am able to (eventually) get the behavior I want if I delete the HTML element and recreate the table.

Message 8 of 7