x

Why isn't SSL included in Pro Plans?

SSL is the standard for website autheniticy. What most don't realise who use Weebly, your webiste gets rejected by many search engines/servers due not having SSL. Unfortunitely if you don't purchases the 'Business' subscription, you don't get SSL included. SSL should be included with any paid plans. Weebly really needs to consider including this in all there paid plans. Consider this before signing up...

Message 1 of 132
131 REPLIES 131

Having http:// instead of https:// is not going to prevent you from being indexed by search engines, you can look around on Google for yourself to verify that. However, it is true that an SSL certificate is looked upon favorably by search engine algorithims. It's not a replacement for relevant content, but it is a helpful thing. With that in mind, as @Adam already stated, Weebly is determining how to proceed, and will be taking action.

Message 63 of 132

It is almost September--any updates?
Message 63 of 132

Nothing to announce yet. When we know, we'll let YOU know! Smiley Happy

Message 63 of 132

There's nothing to report? When you know you'll let us know? It's almost September. Google will REQUIRE SSL starting in October 2017 (a little over a monnth), and Weebly has done nothing to help it's users. And it won't allow us to purchase an external SSL.

Okay I'll say it straight out - This looks like Weebly is using this situation to extort its customers. You're obviously planning on making as much $ as possible out of this. This disappoints me, as I have been with Weebly since 2014 and have recommended it to others. Well, I think you guys are in for a big surprise when your customers are going elsewhere instead of staying with you and paying your ransom price.

I for one am shopping around and will likely be using another host come October 2017. It's a shame that such a good company will be done in by greed. You disappoint me Weebly!

Message 63 of 132
Square

Sorry to hear you're frustrated, @DreamChaser. A few points of clarification regarding SSL:

1. The solution we're working on will be bringing SSL to all sites (not just Pro)

2. Because we host millions of sites it requires a lot of infrastructure changing on our end to support it, and that in turn means a stretch of time like this where there isn't much for us to report.

3. Google's changes work like this: Generally speaking, Chrome will show a "not secure error" on any page that has a form or eCommerce functions. For a lot of people with static, informational sites it won't actually matter for Chrome. The other changes are in regards to search ranking, where Google will rank secure sites better than unsecured. There's a myriad of factors that go into what ranking a site has, so while it could have an effect it doesn't mean that it would.

I can absolutely understand how everyone feels watching the time count down until October - I just want to make it clear that we're definitely going to have a solution for everyone.

Message 63 of 132

Adam, 

Will the changes with SSL usage (i.e. available to all levels) happend BEFORE October 2017? If your answer is "I don't know", I'll take that as a "No. It won't".

Message 63 of 132
Square

Our goal is to have this in place by October.

Message 63 of 132

I'm sorry Adam

But you are talking like every individual site has to be edited, this simply isn't true.

I run a couple of directories, one with 32,000 members - if I change something they all change......

Message 63 of 132

redundant

Message 63 of 132

Hi Adam,

This is just to follow up to see if there is any movement (an ETA) on the SSL front for all plans. I know you said you would let us know when you know - and I truly appreciate that. But, I can't assume Weebly will notify us in time for me to do whatever I need to do to prepare for Google's October deadline.

So, any new is deeply appreciated. Thanks and have a great evening!

Message 63 of 132

Oh dear!

I can only assume you have not seen all the ways Google is now signalling to people that sites are NOT SECURE.

How to undermine confidence in a site in one fell swoop!

MAJOR FAIL by Weebly!

Tags (1)
Message 63 of 132

Same here. Moreover, my website used to be a https://. Now suddenly we're supposed to enjoy the same amenity at double the price?

Message 63 of 132
Square

Sorry for the troubles, @Bautel You should still be able to have SSL with your site. What is the url? We can look into that for you. 

Message 63 of 132

Hey,

Sorry, I tried replying last week, but don't think it got through.

The url is http://www.albot-albot.com/, still not secured.

Thanks.

Message 63 of 132
Square

Can you try again, @Bautel? I made a change to your account which should help.

Message 63 of 132

Hey Adam,

Still no change, I'm afraid.

Linda

Message 63 of 132
Square

You both should be able to click the Enable button now from the Settings tab in the editor now. @Bautel @jmmolina

1. Login to the editor

2. Click Settings

3. Scroll down and hit Enable next to SSL

Message 63 of 132

Hi,

Just did that.

Now I wait for a while?

Linda.

Message 63 of 132
Square

Looks like the site is showing as secure, @Bautel Smiley Happy

Message 63 of 132

It does!

Thank you very much!

Message 63 of 132

Is there an update on this? I think user are feeling pain around this on a daily basis Smiley Sad

Message 133 of 132