x

Why isn't SSL included in Pro Plans?

SSL is the standard for website autheniticy. What most don't realise who use Weebly, your webiste gets rejected by many search engines/servers due not having SSL. Unfortunitely if you don't purchases the 'Business' subscription, you don't get SSL included. SSL should be included with any paid plans. Weebly really needs to consider including this in all there paid plans. Consider this before signing up...

Message 1 of 132
131 REPLIES 131

Very annoying indeed. 
I will also email them and ask if there are new developments regarding this matter. 

Message 39 of 132

Have you heard if there are any new developments?
Message 39 of 132
Square

I don't have any specific info, though this is something we are working on. Stay tuned!

Message 39 of 132

Hey Adam, how is SSL plans going, this should be on the priority list of features to add to weebly. Also, when are we going to see some major updates? not just apps

Message 39 of 132
Square

This is high-priority for us. I don't have any specifics to give unfortunately, though I would expect to see some updates soon about it.

Message 39 of 132

1and1 and several others are including SSL (basic GeoTrust) with domains. When I ran WOORANK on my Weebly site it indicated I have GEOTRUST SSL, though the site pages do not show HTTPS in the browser, so I'm unsure of the validity of the WOO report.
Message 39 of 132
Square

The fallback certificate if you don't have one is our own certificate - I'd bet that WOORANK was seeing that.

Message 39 of 132

You wrote already 2016 you are working on it, but nothing happened until now. Will have to start switching my sites (> 20) to another website builder. Sorry but cannot wait another year. All your big competitors have integrated it in all their plans.

Message 39 of 132

Adam how long must we 'stay tuned' until Weebly can provide an answer on whether it will offer free SSL on the Pro and other plans? 

Message 39 of 132

Come On Adam Really?????
Message 39 of 132

Dear community, dear Weebly,

I just sent an email regarding the SSL included in the Starters pack. Good job for that possibitly though!

In the email the screenshots are included. 

The SSL mark is not included on my website and I  can't even switch to enable in the settings menu.
Can you provide help? 

The website is: www.rechargedmiracles.nl 

--

Kind regards,
ShAb

Message 39 of 132
Square

Hi @ShAb

I checked your site and it is ready to enable. Can you log out and log back in and check again? Cheers!

Message 39 of 132

Dear Bernadette,

Many thanks for the very quick response.

You are right: the option to enable the SSL is possible to use.

At this moment I can't enable it myself. I get a message to email the registrar instead.
I thought that Weebly would be able to turn on the SSL encyption. But apparantly I am wrong.

The link I get in the message is not right I think: http://kb.weebly.com/domain-registrar.html 

Will be continued...I guess.

--

Kind regards,

ShAb

Message 39 of 132
Square

Hm.. What did the message say exactly? @ShAb

Message 39 of 132

Dear @Bernadette,

Thanks for your reply.
See the screenshots below: they are in Dutch though. 
Hopefully that's ok. 

With kind regards.

Shiraz

imageimageimage

Message 39 of 132
Square

Yes, that's fine. Smiley Happy What it is telling you is that in order for the SSL to work properly you need to update the domain dns to this number: 199.34.228.49

You need to log into your domain account and update the two numbers that end in .59 to the above number. 

Once you update this setting it can take 24-48 hours to go into effect. 

Message 39 of 132

Dear @Bernadette,

My registrar was able to update the DNS settings and I was able to enable SSL (longer then 24 hours atm).

The last problem now is to get the site to not show the error message (as I have seen in a lot of other posts).

--

With kind regards.
Shiraz

imageimage

Message 39 of 132

There should be SSL for everybody as soon as possible. Now that Google favours SSL domains, everybody should move to SSL domains, even free plans in subdomains!

In my opinion, Free and maybe starter plans should include a shared SSL certificate, somehow like Cloudflare does. Maybe even you could partner with Cloudflare to offer some transparent SSL certificate and proxies around the World to improve speed. I'm using it in my account and it works wonders!

Message 40 of 132

I totally agree with you

I'm about to start doing a review exercise of the options of websites for artists and the assessment of different options will be against a list of basic criteria and one of these will be "does the software offer security as a BASIC feature?"

Clearly Weebly is going to get a big thumbs down if it's going to restrict security - which is now a basic Google requirement for "OK" sites - to just the top level package.

It looks like a big FAIL for Weebly at the moment if Wix has gone security for all across the board..........

Tags (1)
Message 63 of 132

I've been a pro member for years, and I am sitting here in 2017 thinking Weebly is so behind other competitors in their market.  I love Weebly's UI, price, etc.  But there seems to be more and more things they either do not offer "yet" or you have to overpay for services you do not need to get basic needs.  Example, I do NOT need an eCommerce store.  I am a service based business and a store means noting to me but to get that importnat SSL I would have to double my monthly costs to get it and waste money on commerce.  Maybe an a-la-cart system would work.  Offer the SSL either on all plans (Wix as an example) or to be bought as a stand alone (at a fair market price).

Message 63 of 132

That's a very sensible suggestion.

Weebly doesn't seem to have got its head around the fact people create websites for information or sell services.

Not everybody wants to sell cupcakes or needs a product oriented e-shop!

Tags (1)
Message 63 of 132