x

How do I remove the Weebly cookie banner?

I know I’m a bit late to the party, but this is yet another GDPR question... I’d probably like to ditch the default Weebly Cookie Banner and use my own solution. I read somewhere (can’t find link) that I can do this by contacting Weebly (who?) and agreeing to some sort of waiver. I am not formally requesting this now; I would just like to know:

a) Is this possible?
b) Who do I contact, preferably via email?

Many thanks.

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
Square

Hi @AdeL If you submit a ticket to support the rep will escalate to the policy team. All GDPR questions are answered by that team. Smiley Happy

http://hc.weebly.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Message 2 of 28

Well it seems that it's still not possible to remove this banner. I just added the Cookiebot Weebly plugin that is much better and generates a declaration with a the full list of cookies used on the site. But now I have 2 banners! Weebly please make it possible to remove yours! By the way your support link only sends me to the help section without possibility to contact any support!

Message 29 of 28
Square

Make sure you log into the support site, @sintemptation. Once you do that you should see a link to contact us which will help you through the flow to submit a ticket.

Message 29 of 28

Message 29 of 28

Where should I put this? 

I tried putting it in my header and it didn't work Smiley Happy

Message 29 of 28

Could you tell me where I can find the Cookiebot Weebly plugin?

Have you solved the 2 Cookie Banner problem yet?

Message 29 of 28
Square

Oh, one more thing - the contact us button will be on the bottom once you log in, so don't forget to scroll down to see it.

Message 29 of 28

Hi Adam,

I found this thread by chance, since I need the same thing and was searching for articles. I have sent an email to the Support team twice, via the link suggested above, but I have yet to receive a response.

What do you suggest I do?

Message 29 of 28
Square

This is an older thread, @GThalassinosNet I don't believe it is possible to remove the banner due to GDPR restrictions. 

Message 29 of 28

Adel that is exactly what I am talking about. Weebly's approach is not GDPR compatible.

GDPR restrictions state that the user is able to select which cookies they want and furthermore to be able to change that selection whenever they want. Weebly does not provide that. It's an all or nothing approach. And there is no way to change that. Accept and Opt-out present no individual selection mechanism.

Furthermore, I can only have the banner in one language. My site is bilingual. Further to that when I try to change the text to Greek it gets truncated and the result is unacceptable.

Cookiebot does provide a working solution. I need to be compliant to GDPR and the only way I have found for this - for now - is to fully implement Cookiebot's solution. But for Cookiebot's solution to actually work the user has to Accept Weebly's requirement of allowing all cookies. 

I am asking to have ONE solution present, not two. And one that allows a selection. Until Weebly can provide that I ask you to allow me to use the one that is actually compliant.

Message 29 of 28
Square

The only thing I can suggest is to wait for a reply from support. The reps escalate any request of GDPR nature directly to our policy team. Hopefully someone from the team will be able to provide further clarification. 

Message 29 of 28

I managed to chat with the Support team.

In short, they turned me down as far as any custom solution is concerned and suggested I use a specific 3rd party app from the App Center, albeit not a free one as Cookiebot's. Moreover, I asked and they verified that this app replaces the standard Weebly banner.

I decided to give it a try, having read all the positive comments available. I am totally disappointed as I did not find any of the obligatory cookie acceptance options and easy management mechanism available to the user if they decide to change their mind and acceptance. 

So, to make a long story short, Weebly offers in the App Center a compliant app (Cookiebot's) that is not properly supported by Weebly (it does not replace the standard banner) and a non compliant app that is properly supported (replacing the standard banner). Go figure... Neither combination works as it should.

I give up.

Message 29 of 28

At the time of my previous reply, I had written to the creator of the suggested 3rd party / paid solution asking for clarifications concerning its functionality. I just read their answer and they made it clear that is a "simple" solution to block all cookies until the user accepts the cookie policy. And if I need more features I should look for a more advanced tool.

So, the case is like this. Weebly support suggests I use a tool that replaces their own with the same functionality (apart from customizing colors and position, a feature not related to the GDPR). The tool maker suggests I look for a more advanced solution. This advanced tool exists in the App Center in the form of Cookiebot's add-on. But Weebly do not want this to function properly nor do they care for a proper GDPR compliant solution to cookie management. Maybe they have a special interest in this all or nothing approach. Maybe they want all cookies to be accepted because blocking some of them would not suit their plans. Something does not compute.

Otherwise someone would give a [dime] about what I say. Of course if I do not like the environment I may remove myself and go elsewhere, right? Still, I have invested in my Weebly relationship, I have a paid plan, I have spent many hours setting up my site, which is not portable, and suddenly I find myself exposed with no options. And I do not like it.

Message 29 of 28

Did you try this from above George? It worked for me: https://www.cssdorks.com/2020/08/how-to-remove-weebly-cookie-opt-in.html

Message 29 of 28

We've tried this and it certainly works for removing the Weebly consent banner, but it also removed the Cookiebot one!

Any workaround for losing the Weebly one, but allowing Cookiebot to function?

Message 29 of 28

I tried this. I put it in the header code (see below). 

It didn't work.

<head>
<script type="application....................

<meta name="google-site-verification" content="...............

<style>

.kb-container {

visibility: hidden!important;

}

</style>
</head>

Message 29 of 28

George, we all have the same problem. Weebly makes making a website relatively easy but they don't seem to be interested in this Banner Cookie thing. They never have been. Soon people will start getting fined for not having their banner conform and be forced to find other solutions. The 1/2 solution that we have at the moment is as good as no solution Smiley Happy

Message 29 of 28

1. My weebly Cookie Banner is now only working on phones but on on laptops.

2. When someone clicks on Ok it takes him to the Data Protection Page.

Is this the way it's pupposed to work?

Message 29 of 28

I have the same thing. Always to the data protection page which is bad. I had to put in a button so people can click back to index page easier. It's really not a qaulity solution.

Message 29 of 28

Do we now know how to remove the Weebly Banner?

I have another better option which actually works and would like to see better and flexible solutions from Weebly. Then I wouldn't have had to look elsewhere. 

Message 29 of 28