x

Google Analytics not working for my site

Hi, 

Firstly, sorry if this is in the wrong section. Couldn't decide if it is right or wrong!

I've set up Google Analytics twice before now and on two other sites I've created. Both working fine. For love nor money, I can't get it working on a third. I've done what I've done before which is create the property in Google Analytics, taken the tag code, placed it in the SEO footer of the website (trying both in the settings area of the site and also trying placing it on every page) and I just cannot get it to talk or report data. I accept the data may take 24/48 hours to produce but I understood that real time should show immediately if someone is on the site. I've definitely hit the publish button after putting in the code.

I've tried deleting and setting up the site in Google Analytics several times too.

One bit that does seem different to last time was my previous sites were set up as a UA type but this one doesn't look like that, set up more as a stream it seems.

Any ideas? My website is www.greenhillcorner.co.uk

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

@mcwatson1974 

Here is Weeblys help guide to SEO..

DEFFO  do not put it on every page.  It is relevant to the SITE as a whole   not each page

Have you submitted the site map?

Also u are using an old theme    suggest you change to a newer and responsive theme

Here is my own guide  to GA    https://www.nomadicbackpacker.com/adding-google-analytics-code-and-google-search-console-code-to-you...

Message 2 of 11

Thanks @whitemonkey 

I have already done exactly as your guide has said (and your guide is the clearest one I've seen so far Smiley Wink). I have put it only on the main site, not on each page albeit I did try it on each page just to see if that was what was wrong but have since removed it.

Not sure what submitting the site map means (I'm very much an amateur) but will give it a google.

I will try the theme thing a try and see if that makes a difference although I can't change it to anything drastically different as its a website for someone else.

Message 2 of 11

@mcwatson1974   thanks

U could screen shot your GA code just in case

Sorry   sitemap is for googlesearch console       but worth doing too  to get urself on GOOGLE

WEEBLY has a GSC page too on the prev link i sent

Message 2 of 11

@mcwatson1974   did u hit SAVE (green button bottom right) and then PUBLISH  ? after adding the GA code?

here is weebly guide to all things SEO    forget to post it in previous reply   ooops  https://www.weebly.com/seo

Message 2 of 11

@whitemonkey wrote:

@mcwatson1974   did u hit SAVE (green button bottom right) and then PUBLISH  ? after adding the GA code?

Yes, definitely hit the Save before the publish. I've done this with two sites before and never had a problem. Just something different about this one. 

Message 2 of 11

@mcwatson1974 

at a loss if its just THIS site thats not running GA

other than sending a screen shot  of where u pasted the code, just to check if its something obvious

Message 2 of 11

@whitemonkey See below. Blanked out the tag code as no idea if that's meant to be private or not.

Message 2 of 11

@mcwatson1974    looks good.    Hav no idea why.

Assuming u have a google analytics page?  What url have u registered as?

Message 2 of 11

@whitemonkey Bit bizarre but was going to try another round of problem solving this morning and it seems it's all working and connected! Maybe the technical explanation of me being impatient when I set it up each time. I knew that it can take 24-48 hours for historical data to show but I thought he real time was literally that, real time. But it seems to be working.

Thanks for your assistance and offer of ideas.

Message 2 of 11

@mcwatson1974 

great!!

Message 2 of 11