x

CRITICAL bug using Coupons - BE AWARE!

Weebly enables setting up coupons for "unlimited" or "x time uses". So you can limit a coupon to ONE time use. However, IT DOESN'T LIMIT THE QUANTITY.

Example: let's say I have new promotional product that I would like to promote and I use 1 TIME coupon for 100% discount. A buyer who has the coupon code can have quantity of 100... and there is no way you can prevent it.

The issue was reported to Weebly on October 18th, 2016. The first reply was that "After checking with the development team, this is the intended use... however we will escalate it".

ANYBODY that is using coupons in Weebly is currently vulnerable with this bug,

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

Hello, SBB!

That is indeed how coupons currently work. If you're looking to promote something by giving a limited amount for free with a one time use coupon, you may want to use the dollar amount option instead, so you can control things a bit more closely.

Message 2 of 4

Thank you Queso for your reply.

I am not sure if the workaround you suggest actually solves this issue. Even if I choose Dollar discount, Weebly does not verify the quantity when using coupons, and therefore this puts ANYBODY who uses coupons in a defenseless position.

Example: let's say that the price list of my promotional product is $10. Anybody who sign up to my website gets 1 time coupon for $10 off for this product (I am not interested in discounting the other products on my site). A buyer who has the coupon code can have quantity of 100... and there is no way for me to prevent it.

This is a major bug that opens the door to anybody to exploit it. I am truly surprised that Weebly allows placing its users in such a risk and takes passive role in warning its users.

Message 3 of 4

I'm glad you pointed this out.  I was unaware of this, so thank you.

Message 4 of 4