x

Custom fields on products?

Hey there,

Was wondering if there's a way to add custom info fields to products?

For example, you want to add height/shape/etc. info to products. Is there currently a way to do this without typing it in the product description?

Message 1 of 11
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

Your solution is certain possible using our current features.  If you add a list to the description of the product, you can style this adding it between <style></style> tags to Settings > SEO > Header Code.

Anything you add there is added to every single page of the site, so it'll be global and easily changed yet not part of the theme (so if you change themes later this will be retained).

View Best Answer >

Message 6 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

Hi, there!

You can add options with the multiple options feature. Check out this Help Article for direction, and let us know if you get stuck: https://hc.weebly.com/hc/en-us/articles/201118838-Add-Selectable-Options-like-Size-and-Color-to-Prod...

Thanks, and enjoy your day.

Erin

Weebly Community Manager

Message 2 of 11

Hey Erin, thanks for the reply. Unfortunately that's not quite what I meant. Just additional fields (like the existing SKU field, for example) that provide additional info rather than choices to the customer.

I ask because employees will be adding products to our site, and it'd be quicker/less technical for them to type info into pre-defined fields rather than using the rich text formatting and typing the info into the product description field. More like a database (which the products are stored in anyway?) There's also the issue of having to update every single product description (which will likely be hundreds!) if we decided to change our theme down the line, negating all the benefits of CSS...

Message 3 of 11
Square

So just to clarify, you just want extra information displayed for a product with labeled fields for those on the product edit screen?  Unfortunately there wouldn't be a way to edit that (there is an SKU field, though).

One thing you could do is make a text template and save it locally, then have your employees copy and edit that.  They could just paste the edited text into the description field.

Regarding your styling/CSS question: if you're doing things via CSS to change the look of product pages, try adding those between <style></style> tags in Settings > SEO > Header Code.  You can override default CSS styling that way, but since it's not done via theme customization it'll be retained if you switch themes later.

Message 4 of 11

Hey Adam, thanks for the reply and suggestions. Yeah, that's what I was getting at! It could be a list of technical specs for the product for example. Most all online stores have some kind of details like this. Perhaps I didn't explain the CSS part clearly though.

I mean that putting inline formatting into the product description for this purpose is more akin to the pre-html5 era when nasty tags like <font> were the norm. That simile is perhaps a little crude, but I hope you get what I mean. I'd prefer to keep all the styling of the information in the CSS and not inline in the description, which is a more semantically correct approach as well? If we changed the theme, or if we decided that we wanted to revamp our trade dress, we'd have to into all the descriptions and update the rich-text formatting to match, even something basic like underlining all the field labels.

Thinking about it, targetted CSS selectors could be used to style, say, an unordered list within the description tags and if we only used unordered lists for product details and nothing else, that could be a partial workaround?

Alternatively could it be worth posting this as a feature request?

Message 5 of 11
Square

Best Answer

Your solution is certain possible using our current features.  If you add a list to the description of the product, you can style this adding it between <style></style> tags to Settings > SEO > Header Code.

Anything you add there is added to every single page of the site, so it'll be global and easily changed yet not part of the theme (so if you change themes later this will be retained).

Message 6 of 11

Just a quick update on this... using the Long Description part of the product page, the Simple Table app and modifying our template so the Long Description appears directly under the Short Description, we've been able to accomplish something pretty close to what we wanted here. Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 11

I have been using simple tab app, but for every product, I have to add it manually.  I want a way so that it could be added to all the products automatically, rather than me editing every single product page. Is there a way to implement that?

Message 8 of 11

If you create your product within the NEW PAGE area, that allows you to copy/duplicate the Simple Table app from another page. Not sure why they limited it so that you can't copy elements to products generated within the PRODUCTS area, 

Message 9 of 11

you can import the text into the description field using a product csv file. This is better than copy and pasting each record.

Message 10 of 11

@phocomelus wrote:

"Hey Erin, thanks for the reply. Unfortunately that's not quite what I meant. Just additional fields (like the existing SKU field, for example) that provide additional info rather than choices to the customer."

Hi phocomelus! I think that you can use multiple product option fields to do what you want. There is only one option value for the field. I believe that these fields can be imported with a product csv.

Message 11 of 11