x

Puerto Rico Is a US TERRITORY, Shipping label issues...

Hi. I have shipped several times to Puerto Rico using USPS priority mail service and since it is a US territory it has been the exact same charge as shipping to any US state. I think I shipped last month to Puerto Rico and it was still working the same way. 

Today, I attempt to create a shipping label to Puerto Rico and the ability to select USPS is gone. The interface also seems to be insinuating that a customs form needs to be generated which, to my knowledge based on US trade laws about shipping to US territories, is incorrect. The priority rate should be exactly the same and the ability to ship US Postal Service should still be an option.

Can someone please fix the bug with the shipping interface not recognizing Puerto Rico as a US territory? The current small flat rate priority box rate to Puerto Rico through go shippo is $8.65, like any other US jurisdiction, which should be loading through weebly reflecting that as well.  

Also, I feel like this isn't the first time this bug with creating shipping labels to Puerto Rico has happened.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Square

Hi @Creature Welcome back to the community 👋

Puerto Rico should give you an option to use USPS. Can you confirm the order numbers for the new shipment you tried to create, and the past one that allowed you to select USPS? 

Message 7 of 6

@Bernadette 

Order #1600668206

Yes I have shipped to Puerto Rico numerous times  via USPS priority mail through weebly and it has worked in the past. Trying to ship this order via USPS isn't even an option right now. I think it is a problem with shippo, so you guys probably need to reach out to them. I created the label to Puerto Rico by going directly through my shippo account and it worked, but there were still bugs, like asking for "customs information" which is not required for us territories. After I filled out all that crap, the label printed like a normal small flat fate usps priority label as usual without the unnecessary customs bs. That leads me to believe they have a bug on their end which is effecting how it integrates with weebly. 

Message 7 of 6
Square

Thanks for the info. Just to confirm, you haven't made any changes to your shipping settings recently? I believe in the past Puerto Rico was recognized as a domestic shipment if the rule was setup for Puerto Rico as a US Territory. If Puerto Rico was setup as a country the system would prompt an "international" shipment through customs. It's been awhile so I could be wrong about that... 🤔

Edit to add, now that I'm thinking of it, I believe it may depend on if the customer selects Puerto Rico as a country as opposed to selecting US as the country, and Puerto Rico as the state. I'm trying to get confirmation for you, though. 

Message 7 of 6

I haven't change anything at all in shipping settings.

It was also buggy trying to create this label to PR through shippo directly, so either shippo has changed something on their end that is causing it to no longer offer USPS at all through the weebly plugin or like you said, maybe the customer marked their country as Puerto Rico. If that is so, I would ask why is it even an option for a customer to accidentally select puerto rico as the country? It is neither a state or country, it is a commonwealth and for all purposes of shipping it is recognized as a us territory and should be logged as shipping to any US region, with the country defaulting to US.

Just a heads up, I'm going to go ahead and paste in my tracking for this customers package that I created directly on shippo onto their order through weebly so they can know their item was shipped. If you see its marked as shipped now, its not because anything was resolved, just that I pasted that tracking number over. I hope the screen grab and the info I provided so far will suffice to fix this issue. I have another customer that has bought from me numerous times that lives in puerto rico and I have never run into this issue when creating her labels, so either she is filling something out differently during checkout or there is a new bug that has emerged somewhere between shippo and weebly recently. 

Message 7 of 6
Square

Thanks for the heads up. I escalated this to the advanced support team yesterday, and they are going to look into why the customer was able to select PR as the country. I don't believe they will need to test out the order itself, but I'll let them know about the status of the order with the tracking number added. 

In the meantime (for future orders), you can update the recipient address on the shipping label page by changing the country in the dropdown to United States. Once you do this, the page will refresh and you will see the option to select USPS as the shipping carrier. 

Message 7 of 6