x

How do I change my display name within Appointments?

I don''t understand why this is an issue at all?   I don't go by first name yet the minute I signed over to accept to Square payments with appointments y'all slapped my first name on everything confusing the hell out of my customers and frankly, I didn't WANT any of them knowing my first name!!! Why is it so difficult to put an option as to what name appears in the appointments whether they are the person's info taking the payment or not?  Now I'm wasting 1/2 of my day having to put dogs up in a cage to go answer the **bleep** phone because want to know who so n so is scheduled groom their dog and I have to explain it's just me.  It's stupid. and it's even MORE stupid that I would have to create an entire new account and start all over again with my appointment side and then basically y'all charging more now because there is now TWO people listed instead of one.  Ridiculous. 

Message 1 of 21
2 Best Answers
Alumni

Best Answer

Hi @txgroomer - Sorry for the frustration here. I've move your post as your issue is unrelated to the original thread. It is possible to change your display name within Appointments by going to Staff > select your Owner profile > edit Display Name. This will keep your real name from showing up anywhere on the client's end and they'll only see what you enter in the Display Name field. If you happened to make a second staff role for yourself in order to get around this originally, you can just delete it so that you are the sole staff member.

Hope this helps resolve the trouble you were running into. If not, just let us know and we can help you take a closer look.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 21

Best Answer

Hi! So I’m hoping that you’ve been able to fix this problem by now. But if not then this is something that can only be corrected by logging in from a computer, mobile sites will not work sadly.. what you will need to do is

1. go to squareup.com

2. from here you will click on the menu to the left, scroll down until you see “appointments” 

3. after you’re on “appointments” then you’ll want to click on “staff” 

4. when you’re on “staff” you will be able to click on each staff member & edit their display name, what services can be booked under them, & add a bio about them. 
This can only be done from a computer site, not from mobile. I really hope this helped! Worst to worst, call customer service! Their number is[Redacted] & you’ll need to be transferred to the “appointments” department! Stephanie over there just walked me through EVERYTHING & was so helpful!

View Best Answer >

Message 19 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Alumni

Best Answer

Hi @txgroomer - Sorry for the frustration here. I've move your post as your issue is unrelated to the original thread. It is possible to change your display name within Appointments by going to Staff > select your Owner profile > edit Display Name. This will keep your real name from showing up anywhere on the client's end and they'll only see what you enter in the Display Name field. If you happened to make a second staff role for yourself in order to get around this originally, you can just delete it so that you are the sole staff member.

Hope this helps resolve the trouble you were running into. If not, just let us know and we can help you take a closer look.

Puka - She/They
Message 2 of 21

@puka  Yeah thanks for that suggestion, I tried that.  Didn't work.  Your only response has been to close the account and start over again.  Next!

Message 3 of 21

I also have the same problem. When you go to Staff, there isn't an EDIT option for the name field. Can you please tell us how to change this? Where is that name tied to? There should be a way to EDIT that.

Message 4 of 21
Alumni

Hi @JoviStrategies - You are not able to edit the actual name as it is pulling the personal information that was input when the Square account was opened. You can change the Display Name that shows to clients through the steps above.

Puka - She/They
Message 5 of 21

@puka NO you can not!  I have tried!!!  My first name STILL shows to my clients. You can NOT change the display name! 

Message 6 of 21

@txgroomer, on which notifications are your customers seeing your name?  In my experience the display name has overrides the actual staff members name in each instance. I'd be happy to take a closer look at this with you. 

Message 7 of 21

It worked for me just now. Where are you seeing that clients can still view your name? In emails? On the booking page?

Your name will still show up in many places you can see, including booking confirmation emails you receive. That doesn't mean it's visible on the customers' end.

Message 8 of 21

My customers keep calling me asking who this person is they are booked with when I go by my middle name not my first name.  I'm assuming it's showing up in their emails when they book or when they are getting reminders. 

Message 9 of 21

Ah. I know what's going on then. Same thing happened to me.

Bookings store and use the information that was present at the time the booking was made. I assume this is to prevent a change in settings from unintentionally changing what a customer is already expecting.

So customers who made a booking when your real name was on display will continue to see that name in their reminder emails.

But every new booking from here onward should be associated with your new display name.

Message 10 of 21

No because under my free 6 mo trial from bookfresh used my name i go by. The INSTANT i signed over officially and used my first name y'all flipped it to my first name.  So how does it switch to my first name doing that, but i can't get it to go back to my middle name i go by without closing my current account and losing all my appointments and starting all over again???

Message 11 of 21

I literally just came on here looking for the solution to your exact problem. I go by my middle Hawaiian name and prefer not to have my first name visible to everyone.

Were we suppose to create a ‘staff’ worker as in ourselves but with our preferred name? & support doesn’t answer the phone. Sick.

so does anyone know if we can transfer all info collected to staff acc. & continue as normal?

Message 12 of 21
Square Community Moderator

Hey there @Wainuewa I appreciate you reaching out and providing your feedback. feel free to reach out to our Ideate Board, our new process of tracking feature requests and you can submit a feature request there. I am so sorry about any frustration and inconvenience this is causing you right now. If you need anything else let us know, we are happy to help. 

Message 13 of 21

I have the same issue. Never have gone by my first name and Square uses what is associated to the Bank Information. It confused my clients. THE ADVICE GIVEN FROM PUKA DOES NOT WORK. You cannot change the first name in Staff or Accounts. It pulls from the BANK INFORMATION. Square Appointments needs to offer a way to change the first name and NOT have it tied to Bank Information please. I shouldn't have to add myself as a separate person under Staff, when I'm the owner. Please update this Square?

Message 14 of 21

I created our Square account and my wife is the authorized main user of the account. I have created an appointment calendar for her, which is great. Unfortunately, my name is showing in the appointments instead of hers. How can I have her name shown instead of me. I'm not the user, she is. There is no need to create her as an employee, since she is the only one providing appointments. Please advise.

Message 15 of 21

Hello @Pronobiz

I went ahead and merged your thread since this question had been asked before. I recommend checking out the best answer on the first page. 

Message 16 of 21

Made the change on "Display Name" and  booked another appointment, as test, it looks like the name is OK. I did it one more time with more descriptive name and tested a second time and it still shows the previuos name. I'm thinking it takes some time for it to update?  Its showing the name I originally provided and I can work with it! Thanks.

Message 17 of 21

Ok

Message 18 of 21

Best Answer

Hi! So I’m hoping that you’ve been able to fix this problem by now. But if not then this is something that can only be corrected by logging in from a computer, mobile sites will not work sadly.. what you will need to do is

1. go to squareup.com

2. from here you will click on the menu to the left, scroll down until you see “appointments” 

3. after you’re on “appointments” then you’ll want to click on “staff” 

4. when you’re on “staff” you will be able to click on each staff member & edit their display name, what services can be booked under them, & add a bio about them. 
This can only be done from a computer site, not from mobile. I really hope this helped! Worst to worst, call customer service! Their number is[Redacted] & you’ll need to be transferred to the “appointments” department! Stephanie over there just walked me through EVERYTHING & was so helpful!

Message 19 of 21

When making an appointment or invoice, while adding a service or item. The staff name is added also. Show Now it is showing up 5-6 times on the invoice which is confusing my customers. In August this wasn't happening. Is there a way to not add the person who booked the appointment onto the form.

Message 20 of 21
Square Community Moderator

Hi @4SPS I moved your post over to this thread. Please check out the Best Answer above for more details. 

Message 21 of 21