x

Can not use tap debit or chip reader for debit- gives error

I am receiving an error when attempting to tap a debit card "Unknown Card Brand"

And when I try to use the chip reader it tells me to use the tap or use a different card.

I paid for this for the sole purpose of being able to provide Debit as a payment option, if it doesn't work, thenit is useless to me since I already had the swipe reader for credir card payments (which was free).

Looks like I was not the only person to have this problem; waiting on support to get back to me.

Message 1 of 50
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Thanks @Emily2!

To accept debit card payments in Canada with Square you can use Square Contactless and Chip Reader or Square Terminal, with either device you can accept Interac chip transactions for any amount and Interac Flash transactions (tap debit) up to $100. Interac dip (chip and PIN) payments have no transaction limit.

These Support Centre acticles have more information about the payment cards you can accept in Canada:

If you have any other questions please reply here or give our Customer Success team a call.

This post was updated in 2020. 

๏œ๏ธ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.

View Best Answer >

Message 42 of 50
49 REPLIES 49

I have tried all your so called solutions and nothing works. I can not use my square on my G52 phone. Fix your software, that is the REAL problem. My square worked just fine for years on my old 3G phone. Now that I have a 5G phone it doesn't work anymore. You are going to lose customers because you are causing us to lose sales.

Message 43 of 50
Square Community Moderator

Hi there @unhappywithsq, thank you for reaching out and bringing this to our attention. I'm sorry to hear that you are having some trouble with your Square Contactless and Chip Reader.

If you have already completed all of the troubleshooting steps listed here, the next step would be to contact our Support Team. They will be able to file a support ticket for our engineers and they can investigate this issue further from there. You may also want to check here and make sure that your new phone is compatible with your reader.

When you have a moment, please give us a call at 855-809-9000 (English Support) or 855-700-2000 (French Support) between Monday-Friday 6:00 AM - 6:00 PM Pacific Time. Our Support Team will be happy to assist you! 

Violet
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 44 of 50

I have an issue sometimes with debit (interac) tap. I thought it was TD, CIBC however itโ€™s only sometimes where this happens. Sometimes it could be that the customer didnโ€™t get the bank to turn tap option on... however when this error happens, the person swears they use it on debit machines without incident. I am also frustrated with the fact it works SOMETIMES but not always. I also had an incident that the person used it at my business one week but not work the next week (in that incident it was because they had over $100 sale) 

hope my comments help, and hope someone at square also reads that the cards donโ€™t always work on tap!!!

Message 45 of 50

Customer with a Scotiabank Debit/visa will not be accepted with my reader...she taps her card at retail locations all the time. Only time her card does not work is with my reader. Is this because it is a debit/visa? It clearly is interact capable

Message 46 of 50
Admin

@Katpurdy You should be able to accept a Visa debit card that is Interac enabled - as long you use the tap function of the reader. Keep in mind there is also a $100 per transaction limit for Interac debit tap payments.

Your customer could reach out to their bank to see if there's any issue with the card (e.g. it's damaged) or if the payment was in fact declined. Their bank will be able to confirm why the card was declined. 

๏œ๏ธ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 47 of 50

So what I have discovered is that in Canada, the tap has a limit of $100 for ALL debit cards.  You will receive error messages for anything over that amount.  Credit Cards should work fine though for any amount under $10,000.

Message 48 of 50

I am also from Canada and just recently starting having this same issue. I've had my reader for a while, and never had a problem with it. Suddenly when trying to tap using Interac Flash, It gives me a error telling me to use another card or use chip. When I put the chip into the reader nothing happens. There is a single green light, but no action. I've tried plugging the reader in, resetting the reader, disconnecting and reconnecting. Nothing is working. Credit tap seems to be okay.

Message 49 of 50
Square Community Moderator

Hi there @jayb1 ๐Ÿ‘‹

Sorry to hear you're having issues with your contactless and chip reader. If you have already completed these Troubleshooting Steps. Then I would suggest getting in touch with our support team so they can verify what could be going on here in regards to Interact transactions. Hopefully, we can get you up and running soon without errors soon.

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 50 of 50