x

Can not use tap debit or chip reader for debit- gives error

I am receiving an error when attempting to tap a debit card "Unknown Card Brand"

And when I try to use the chip reader it tells me to use the tap or use a different card.

I paid for this for the sole purpose of being able to provide Debit as a payment option, if it doesn't work, thenit is useless to me since I already had the swipe reader for credir card payments (which was free).

Looks like I was not the only person to have this problem; waiting on support to get back to me.

Message 1 of 49
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Thanks @Emily2!

To accept debit card payments in Canada with Square you can use Square Contactless and Chip Reader or Square Terminal, with either device you can accept Interac chip transactions for any amount and Interac Flash transactions (tap debit) up to $100. Interac dip (chip and PIN) payments have no transaction limit.

These Support Centre acticles have more information about the payment cards you can accept in Canada:

If you have any other questions please reply here or give our Customer Success team a call.

This post was updated in 2020. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.

View Best Answer >

Message 41 of 49
48 REPLIES 48

I'm at an event and having the exact same issue. Everyone here with the contactless reader is having the same issue. We are in canada. Credit cards are working fine with the contactless reader. Various types of flash intera debit cards do not work. Most dont do anything. No lights or anything. Others I get an error message transaction could not be completed. I enter the sale. Hit charge. Select other then debit/credit option. Any suggestions?

Message 22 of 49

Helen, I believe I've purchased a useless item!!!! The popular bank up here does not offer tap function on their debit cards and 70% of my local town uses that bank so basically I spent money on a useless product is what I'm understanding!!! FRUSTRATED

Message 23 of 49
Admin

@kevinsavage I just replied to your post on this thread with more information about accepting Interac debit cards with tap only.

If you need to return your reader you can do so from here.

I'm sorry for the frustration this has caused. Please keep in mind the Community Etiquette Guidelines and try not to post the same question in multiple places. 

I will share your experience with the chip and contactless reader with the appropriate team so we can make it clearer which cards can be accepted and which cannot.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 24 of 49

Hi Helen, I have been using my new debit tap for a few months now with no incident other than it will not accept RBC debit cards.  As of yesterday, the debit and credit options would not work whether I tapped or inserted the credit card.  Today I did an update and removed and reinstalled.  Now I can operate the credit card part but still cannot get debit to tap.  What's going on?

Message 25 of 49
Admin

Hi @Shelley1, I'm very sorry to hear about this!

If your customer's RBC card is Interac tap enabled you should be able tap their card to complete the payment.

Keep in mind that there is a $100 per transaction limit for Interac tap cards, and you cannot swipe or dip a debit card. 

There's also a chance that your customer's bank declined the payment. Square isn't informed why a payment is declined but your customer can call their bank directly to see what the issue might be. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 26 of 49
Admin

Hello @Nell! Accepting Interac debit cards with the new reader is slightly different. You'll need to enter the sale, then hit Charge, then select Contactless before asking your customer to hold their card over the reader to complete the charge.

The option to tap Other > Debit/Credit is for organizational purposes only. When you select this option it indicates to the Point of Sale app that you're taking the payment outside of Square but you want to have a record of the sale. I definitely see how this is confusing and our team is already working on a way to make this clearer! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 27 of 49

Thank you Helen. It is now working. Although we all tried this yesterday it didn't work. I wonder if it was because it was the 1st time using the reader. Anyway glad it's finally working.

Thanks

Nell

Message 28 of 49

Hey Nell how did you get it to finally take chips?

Message 29 of 49
Admin

@Andrewloh If you're having trouble using the Contacltess and Chip card reader to accept chip credit card payments please call our CS team. The steps to call are in this Support Centre article and the team is available from 6am to 6pm PT Monday to Friday.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 30 of 49

You say... "select contactless". However, my square software does not give me that option. It already says "Contactless payment methods are enabled". However, it does not do anything!

Message 31 of 49
Admin

Hey @macdanewf, I'm really sorry to hear about the inconsistencies you've been encountering with accepting tap payments. If you haven't had a chance already, I would suggest giving these reader troubleshooting tips a run-through: Square Contactless + Chip Reader Troubleshooting. Those usually address any kind of responsiveness issues right away.

Hope this helps get you where you need to be—if not, please get in touch with our Customer Success team and they'll be able to take a deeper dive into your settings.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 32 of 49

I read all the comments... no answers, I’m afraid.

Message 33 of 49
Admin

Glad to hear that Nell! Thanks for your patience yesterday! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 34 of 49

We have been experienceing the same issues.  Is there a way to disable the "tap" feature on the contactless device?  99% of our transactions are WELL over $100.

Message 35 of 49
Super Seller

@rodlowen, there is not a way to disable tap if you are trying to take a debit card in Canada as that is the only option to take a payment from an Interac debit card, and there is not a way to take an Interac debit card for over $100 currently.

Message 36 of 49

I am having the same issue with my square. I can accept credit cards using tap, but there is 'zero' response when I lay a debit card on the reader.

Very frustrated in Canada

Message 37 of 49

Has this been solved I have the same issue

Message 38 of 49
Alumni

Hey @Emily2 - Can you provide more information about your issue? There are several different ones listed in the sub-thread you responded to.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 39 of 49

Hi Puka,

So my square tap says brand of card unknown for TD visa debit. For both clients who used this it had this error. But it has worked before for other debit cards. Does it not support visa debit ? I'm in Canada. 

Message 40 of 49
Admin

Best Answer

Thanks @Emily2!

To accept debit card payments in Canada with Square you can use Square Contactless and Chip Reader or Square Terminal, with either device you can accept Interac chip transactions for any amount and Interac Flash transactions (tap debit) up to $100. Interac dip (chip and PIN) payments have no transaction limit.

These Support Centre acticles have more information about the payment cards you can accept in Canada:

If you have any other questions please reply here or give our Customer Success team a call.

This post was updated in 2020. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 41 of 49

I have tried all your so called solutions and nothing works. I can not use my square on my G52 phone. Fix your software, that is the REAL problem. My square worked just fine for years on my old 3G phone. Now that I have a 5G phone it doesn't work anymore. You are going to lose customers because you are causing us to lose sales.

Message 42 of 49