x

How can I add a "read more" link that reveals lengthy text in the same area?

I am looking for embedded code idea or other to insert a "read more" text reveal for lenghty copy (IE: bios that are longer than two lines of copy)  Any ideas?

Thanks-

CW

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Square

You might be able to use something like the Accordion app to do that:

https://www.weebly.com/app-center/accordion?ref=ac-search

Message 2 of 19

On every site I develop (currenly 9) I need a read more break on normal pages other than the blog post page. Can this be added anytime soon?

Message 8 of 19
Square

You can do that now using a hidden page and a standard link, @RestartIT. Make one hidden page with all of your content on it, then make a copy of it which is not hidden. On that page, remove content leaving only the preview you want, then add a text/button/image link to hidden page.

Message 8 of 19

Thank you for your reply, Adam! I am doing this with several pages. However, I'd love for them not to have to be directed to a different page to read more. With the evolution of websites, I've seen that it is becoming most common for there to be a single page to display a lot of information. This is obviously due to mobile browsing becoming more prominent. With this being said, do you know if it's in Weebly's plans to add a "read more" break within text that would allow uses to stay on the same page and view more information? Honestly, this feature that is currently on the blog pages would be fine, but it would be fantastic to have that feature on other pages as well. 

Message 8 of 19
Square

Ahh, ok, so you're thinking more the kind of element where you click and it just expands to show the rest of the page?

Message 8 of 19

yes he is, i also need this feature 

Message 8 of 19

I also need this. It's in the blog portion, so it should not be that hard to migrate this over.

If I'm doing this all over a page it's silly to load new page instances.

Message 20 of 19
Square

If you have a third party widget that does this you could include it with the Embed Code element. It's also possible someone here might be able to whip up something that would work.

Message 20 of 19

Any progress on this? I'm in the thick of creating a lengthy page that severely needs a 'Read More' option.

Message 20 of 19
Square

Not that I know of, @susanscotfry. Really sorry about that. Here's a link to the submitted feature request. Please add your support by adding a kudo and submitting your feedback. Thanks so much!

https://community.weebly.com/t5/Vote-on-Features/quot-READ-MORE-quot-feature-for-STANDARD-PAGES-not-...

Message 20 of 19

looks like the original request from 2016 is archived, can we still get admin attention by giving it kudos? or do we need to start a new threat for this issue that people have been commenting on for years? thanks! Smiley Happy 

Message 20 of 19
Square

Thanks for your post, @lillyced.

If you'd like us to add this I would make a new post for people to add kudos to and add a link in that to the old one for reference.

Message 20 of 19

Same here
Message 20 of 19

Do we have a solution to this yet?

Message 20 of 19
Square

We don't currently have a feature that does this, no. You might be able to do something like that with FAQ or accordion-type of app, though:

https://www.weebly.com/app-center/search/expand

Message 20 of 19

Hi folk, I too have the same issue. How did you guys resolve it? By use of Accordian, or some othr app?

Message 20 of 19

Looking for this too. A "read more" text expander is becomming a staple. It can't be hard to do, but I don't want to add custom coding and potentially mess up the look of the theme; I'd much rather use a weebly theme that includes this function.

Message 20 of 19

I need this as well.  Weebly is notoriously non responsive in adding features, even ones like this that people have asked for for years, is already on the Blog pages so can't be hard to add.  Weebly doesn't seem to care anymore about it's clients.  The customer service from before Square took over, is long gone, and Weebly seems to just be a poor sister to the Square commercial sites.  If I hadn't been using Weebly for so many years, I'd be long gone now.

Message 20 of 19