x

How can I track my purchases/items from my vendor using Square for Retail?

[The title of this thread has been edited from the original: Tracking my suppliers]

i want to be able to input my receipts where i buy from suppliers. where and how do i do that?

ie: soap supplier ingredients, chicago il, i paid $24.99

they are my vendor (acct payable)...where in SQUARE RETAIL do i enter this information

Message 1 of 122
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hi @texasbathhouse.

Thanks for posting in the Seller Community!

It sounds like you're referring to purchase orders. Purchase orders are a feature that comes with Square for Retail. They are a way to track the supplies/goods you're purchasing from your vendor. You can input the cost that you paid for them, the vendor, and each item  you received. 

Here is a Seller Community post about Purchase Orders.

Follow creating a purchase order, take a look at these instructions:

1. Log in to your online Square Dashboard > Items > Inventory Management > Purchase Orders > click the purchase order you have received.
  2. Click Receive All or Receive None. To partially receive inventory, click Receive in the product row > enter the amount received > Save.

Receiving items through purchase orders is a great way to take bulk action on your inventory. Updating your stock levels through a purchase order allows you to mark your stock as Received, which will be included in your Inventory Plus reporting.

Once you’ve marked a purchase order as received, the stock will be reflected in your inventory counts and reports.

Please let me know if you have any questions about this. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!

View Best Answer >

Message 119 of 122
121 REPLIES 121
Beta Member

Hi Kitch,

I agree, a Vendor field that's searchable/organizable would be a great feature to add.

The best workaround I could think of would be to use the Variation field to enter the vendor when entering new product. It would let you keep the product organized by their name, but you can find/arrange by variation type in excel with an exported summary. Not a whole lot faster but hopefully something.

Message 106 of 122

Hello @OddbirdGifts

I see why you would want this on your reports and I've gone ahead and moved your post to the feature request board of the Seller Community. From here we can track feedback for this request. 

If we were to move forward with this feature request it would take some time to build. I understand your logic that we already have some of this information on the inventory section of the app, but you can't just tweak the inventory code and have it build and run a new report. 

I've found the best analogy to describe a change like this is to imagine Square as a 50 floor building. To add a new feature to a floor would involve stripping down part of or the whole floor and rebuilding it with the feature. During this process we need to make sure the new feature doesn't impede any plumbing, electrical, or gas lines that service other floors as well. We have a similar feature on another floor that we can use as a guide, but most of the new one will be built from the ground up. 

Message 107 of 122

Any progress on this? When can we view sales by vendor?

Message 108 of 122

I would like to be able to summarize my purchase orders by category, vendor or month.  Is this possible?

Message 109 of 122
Admin

Hey @cam-phluid,

Thanks for reaching out and sorry to keep you waiting on this question. I ran this by a member of our Retail Team and the ability to summarize your purchase orders as you've described isn't available at this time. So that I can share some more insights internally, can you let me know why these views are important for your business?

Appreciate your patience as we are constantly working on improvements based on seller feedback.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 110 of 122

I am new to square retail. I am having the vendors when ringing up sales add a note so I can see what is sold but there should be a way to track items sold back to the vendor.  The reports are "uncategorized"  There has got to be a way to set this up.

Message 111 of 122

In your dashboard, under items, you can add categories to sort your items. Also, there are modifiers for multiple options. Hope this helps 🙂

Message 112 of 122

We are a co-op and need to designate sales to each vendor in the store.  How do we charge purchases for individual co-op vendors so that items can be linked to specific vendors? 

Message 113 of 122
Admin

Hi @123Co-op! Welcome to the Seller Community!

I went to check on this, and it sounds like signing up for Square for Retail may be the ideal fit for your co-op. With Square for Retail, you'll be able to assign purchases to specific vendors. Learn more here: Vendor Management.

Hope this helps get you where you need to be. If any questions remain or this doesn't make the mark, feel free to let me know—I'll be happy to have another look. 🙂

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 114 of 122

Will the square Register track and keep sales individually on each vendor in our Art league. We have approximately 35. 

Message 115 of 122
Super Seller

I know Square for Retail has some pretty slick features that allow vendor sales information, but I don't use Retail so I can't help you out too much if you're using that software...

However, if you're using the regular Point of Sale app (which is what Square Register runs natively), there definitely is a way to separate your vendor sales, @Pa1 . What I would recommend is to set up each vendor name as a category name. Then, when you enter that vendor's items for sale, make sure the category name matches their name. The checkout procedure will be straightforward since you mostly use item names for checkout.

When it's time to run reports, you can look at the Category Sales in the Reports section. You'll see each vendor name plus all the items they sold plus a dollar amount total.

Hope this helps!

Ryan Wanner
Golden Pine Coffee Roasters
Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Super Seller: I know stuff.
Beta Tester: I break stuff.
he/him/hey you/coffee guy/whatever.

Happy Selling!
Message 116 of 122

We are a consignment shop. How do we connect a vendor number to their item sold at pos. We need a report of $ amount sold by that vendor at the end of each month.

Message 117 of 122
Square Community Moderator

Hey! I've merged your post with an existing thread that will help answer your question. While you cannot track vendor sales, you can put your vendor names in your categories or item names and track their sales that way. Let me know if you have any other questions. 🙂

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 118 of 122
Admin

Best Answer

Hi @texasbathhouse.

Thanks for posting in the Seller Community!

It sounds like you're referring to purchase orders. Purchase orders are a feature that comes with Square for Retail. They are a way to track the supplies/goods you're purchasing from your vendor. You can input the cost that you paid for them, the vendor, and each item  you received. 

Here is a Seller Community post about Purchase Orders.

Follow creating a purchase order, take a look at these instructions:

1. Log in to your online Square Dashboard > Items > Inventory Management > Purchase Orders > click the purchase order you have received.
  2. Click Receive All or Receive None. To partially receive inventory, click Receive in the product row > enter the amount received > Save.

Receiving items through purchase orders is a great way to take bulk action on your inventory. Updating your stock levels through a purchase order allows you to mark your stock as Received, which will be included in your Inventory Plus reporting.

Once you’ve marked a purchase order as received, the stock will be reflected in your inventory counts and reports.

Please let me know if you have any questions about this. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 119 of 122

I need to input 1-3 "types" for each vendor. Currently I'm having to keep an excel list of vendors to refer to when I'm buying "X" type products. For example, I need to order lighting and i want to open SQUARE and review all of my lighting vendors and what inventory i have for each.  Same thing for dozens of other types of products.  Stock Forecasts WILL NOT work for me because I'm buying a mix of types and styles of items when new designs come out 3 times a year (and I only re-buy the same thing once a year). 

I know there's a beta for special fields in invoicing and wondering if this is being considered for Vendors.  If not, please raise it.  

Message 120 of 122

Was this ever solved?

Message 121 of 122
Super Seller

@SurlySam ;

You can enter Vendors in Square for Retail here is how:

5958-vendor-management 

Now if you are trying to track all your bills like saying the Utility company is a vendor of Electricity for example, you would need an accounting software package as Square is more for accepting Payments and Paying some of your vendors but is not a full Accounting package like QuickBooks, Zero, Zoho.... etc. 

Square now does let you pay your bills with Bill Pay, here is more information on that. 

7727-square-bill-pay 

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 122 of 122