x
Super Seller

How can I use my iPhone 7 without a headphone jack?

So now that the iphone 7 has been offically annouced, with the rumored lack of headphone port, does square have any information they can announce as to whether the included lightning to headphone dongle will work with the mag stripe reader? 

@Kpay or @Sean?

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 46
2 Best Answers
Square

Best Answer

August 2018 Update:

Hello again! A quick upate to let you know a new magstripe reader that connects to new iPhones is now available for $10. 🎉🙌 You can read about this new reader here: Introducing a new Square magstripe reader. Or to order a reader sign in to the Square Shop

Square-Reader-Lightning-01b_Medium.jpg

@VanKalkerFarms - Happy to follow up! Alongside the release of Apple's newest iPhone, they also shared that they're including a lightning to 3.5 mm headphone jack adapter. We've tested out this adapter out, and it works just fine with all of our readers. 

Also, it's definitely worth mentioning that the Square Contactless and Chip Card Reader pairs wirelessly to smartphones and tablets, meaning, no headphone jack required. 👍

With the move to chip cards, and the speed of contactless payments - sellers should still be in a good position, regardless of what smartphone or tablet they're using. 

Hope this helps!

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.

View Best Answer >

Message 8 of 46

Best Answer

how can you use the square on the new iphone 7

View Best Answer >

Message 16 of 46
45 REPLIES 45

Curious as to new reader if new iPhones have no headphone jack

Message 2 of 46
Super Seller

If the rumors are true about the iphone 7 and no headphone jack, there is an adapter that goes lightning port to headphone port for legacy devices.  I don't know that the old square swippers will work with this though, maybe @Kpay or @Sean can advise on this possible future that will effect millions of their customers.  The newer NFC/Chip reader will work via bluetooth but I don't know the options for swipping.

Message 3 of 46

Good points made. 

We shall see. 

Thx

Message 4 of 46
Alumni

Apple hasn't officially announced the iPhone 7, so we're not able to comment on any of the rumors. However, @VanKalkerFarms is right that our contactless + chip reader pairs wirelessly with newer devices via Bluetooth. 🙂

Message 5 of 46

The new iPhone 7 will not have a headphone port, which I use for the non chip credit cards, how will this be resolved? I don't want to go to a droid . 

Message 6 of 46
Super Seller

As of now that's just speculation. 

If it does occur there are lightning to audio jack adapters. 

Message 7 of 46
Square

Best Answer

August 2018 Update:

Hello again! A quick upate to let you know a new magstripe reader that connects to new iPhones is now available for $10. 🎉🙌 You can read about this new reader here: Introducing a new Square magstripe reader. Or to order a reader sign in to the Square Shop

Square-Reader-Lightning-01b_Medium.jpg

@VanKalkerFarms - Happy to follow up! Alongside the release of Apple's newest iPhone, they also shared that they're including a lightning to 3.5 mm headphone jack adapter. We've tested out this adapter out, and it works just fine with all of our readers. 

Also, it's definitely worth mentioning that the Square Contactless and Chip Card Reader pairs wirelessly to smartphones and tablets, meaning, no headphone jack required. 👍

With the move to chip cards, and the speed of contactless payments - sellers should still be in a good position, regardless of what smartphone or tablet they're using. 

Hope this helps!

Sean
he/him/his
Message 8 of 46
Super Seller

Hopefully the adapter will work because at our farmer's market on saturday we still run around 50% swiped cards. I'm glad you were able to get one ahead of time to run it thru its paces.

I will be upgrading but still have 2 other phones that will still have headphone port at market.

Message 9 of 46
Square

@VanKalkerFarms - I'll be sure to keep you posted. 😀

Sean
he/him/his
Message 10 of 46

I'm eager to hear too how the new Apple phone & Square will work without its head jack.

But I am concerned about the swiper vs the bluetooth device. Last weekend I had at least 3 cards that were swipers (ie no chips) and had a helleva time switching over to my swiper from my wireless. 

Please give us the option of using a swiper too. Customers are not all switched over to the chipped cards by any means.

Message 11 of 46

How about if Square adds a 3.5mm head phone plug to the wireless reader. That way, customers with swipe(-only) cards can be read on the existing Square equipment?  Just in case, the dongle doesn't work.

Message 12 of 46
Square

@wschoeller Thanks for that feedback, once we have any more information on the dongle compatibility, we will share! We will share your post with our Product team. 

Message 13 of 46

Sean -- It has been a week. What are the results of testing the lightning to 3.5 mm headphone adapter with the swiper?

Thanks!

Dave P.

Message 14 of 46
Square

@DaveP - We have been successfully using the adapter, but we are still testing things out to be absolutely certain. I’ll be sure to share the official word once I hear it, but the outlook is very optimistic. 😀

Sean
he/him/his
Message 15 of 46

Best Answer

how can you use the square on the new iphone 7

Message 16 of 46
Super Seller

Message 17 of 46
Square

@arlene - Check out this thread for more details, as well. 🙂

Sean
he/him/his
Message 18 of 46

I PLUGGED MY READER INTO THE NEW IPHONE ADAPTER FOR IPHONE 7 AND IT SLIPS IN BUT US NOT A GOOD FIT

Message 19 of 46
Square

@QUEENOFREAL - Sorry to hear about the trouble!  I do know that you have to press pretty hard until the read clicks into place. Would you mind trying to press the reader in a bit harder? Thanks!

Sean
he/him/his
Message 20 of 46

Square: hey this is great info that I had to dig for. No worries but it'd help others if you mentioned it in the compatibility specs for the readers. Thanks!

"the lightning adapter that ships with iPhone 7 works so don't freak out."  Cool! 

Have a a good one!

Message 21 of 46