x

How do you charge a card on file?

After I have a client fill out a card authorization form, add the card info to their info on the square directory, how do I then use that stored card to charge for services?  

Message 1 of 34
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

@timeoutplay You can charge a customer's card on file from the Register (or the Point of Sale app).

First I would make sure that your payment type settings include Card on File - these are the options you see in the Register after you tap 'Charge'.

To enable the Card on File Payment type from your Register:

1. Tap the down arrow at the top of the screen > tap Settings
  2. Tap Payment Types.
  3. You'll see current payment types at the top > scroll down and toggle on Customer Card on File.

Then, from the Checkout section of your Register:

1. Enter the amount to charge this customer/select the items they purchased and tap Charge.
  2. Tap Card on File > tap on your customer's name from the list.
  3. You'll see the last four digits of their saved card at the top of the screen > tap Charge
️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.

View Best Answer >

Message 12 of 34
33 REPLIES 33
Square

Great question!

When you create an invoice online, you have the ability to select a payment card from the drop down list under "Payment" once you've added a customer with a card on file from your directory.  Once you select the card, you can then select a date to charge the card. Finally you can press "Charge" to complete your invoice. Here's a screenshot: 

You can also find more details in this Support Center article.

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 2 of 34

Hello, I have a customer who saved thier credit card on file - however when I create an invoice for them I do not have the "Payment" dropdown.  Has this function changed? Thanks

Message 3 of 34
Square Community Moderator

Hi @MaadCee

You should have this ability if you click the "Invoice Method" drop down in the Invoice Details section. 

If you have a card on file for that customer, the card should appear as a payment method. 

If this isn't showing up, can you send over some screenshots? Feel free to send in a Private Message

Message 4 of 34

Client Want to Be Automatically Billed on a Date Every Month instead of me sending an invoice, him entering details, and then paying. This seems like a common feature, but I can't find it. 

Message 5 of 34

I have a customer wanted me to charge him on the same card that had used as a previous payment method, how can I do that from Square back end?

Message 6 of 34
Admin

Hey @erichao, if you're using Square Invoices and your customer allowed you to save their card on file, you'll be able to run a charge for them using that card. See Sean's post for step-by-steps on how to do this.

Note: with the Square Register app, payments must be dipped, swiped, or keyed in manually each time.

Hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any further questions.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 7 of 34

Thanks, Tom! This is really helpful. I found Sean's post the other day but not sure if it is exactly the answer to my question. Now I know for sure.

Message 8 of 34
Admin

Fantastic! Glad you were able to get to the bottom of it by the time I got to your post. Please don't hesitate to let us know if anything else comes up. 🙂

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 9 of 34
Alumni

Hi @BRovner313 and @erichao - we thought you might like to know that as of today, you can store cards on file with the Square Register app. 🎉  Read more about it here and let us know what you think! 

Message 10 of 34

So if I saved a card in file with authorization but do not use invoices, I only use the square register stand I cannot use the the saved card method? I have to manually enter each time and get accessed the higher fee?

Message 11 of 34
Admin

Best Answer

@timeoutplay You can charge a customer's card on file from the Register (or the Point of Sale app).

First I would make sure that your payment type settings include Card on File - these are the options you see in the Register after you tap 'Charge'.

To enable the Card on File Payment type from your Register:

1. Tap the down arrow at the top of the screen > tap Settings
  2. Tap Payment Types.
  3. You'll see current payment types at the top > scroll down and toggle on Customer Card on File.

Then, from the Checkout section of your Register:

1. Enter the amount to charge this customer/select the items they purchased and tap Charge.
  2. Tap Card on File > tap on your customer's name from the list.
  3. You'll see the last four digits of their saved card at the top of the screen > tap Charge
️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 12 of 34

I can't charge a customer as they show to be "reachable".  How do I change them to card on file and charge them?

Message 13 of 34
Admin

Hello @ChrisSD! I moved your post here so you can check out Sean's Best Answer. You can also read more about saving a payment card for invoices on our Support Center. Don't hesitate to post again if you have any other questions! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 14 of 34

Hi @Helen Helen- I'm having a problem charging the card that my client saved on file. I have an invoice set up, for which she already paid a deposit. She wants me to charge the card on file for the balance now. I don't see the options that Sean had in his screenshot, so I don't know how to do that.

Message 15 of 34
Admin

Hey @navalb! Sorry for the confusion. Because your customer paid a deposit towards the invoice she must pay the balance from the Invoice too. You can't charge her card for the balance nor can you take a payment for the balance from the app - those are feature requests we're tracking closely.

You can send her a link to the invoice: open the invoice > click More > click Share > copy the URL and share it with your customer. (If you're using the Point of Sale app you can share the link via email or as a text message.)

Apologies again for the trouble! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 16 of 34

Thank you for the clarification!

Message 17 of 34
Admin

You're welcome! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 18 of 34

I just set up a recurring invoice for the end of the month. The invoice hasn’t been sent yet, but the customer has already given me card info to keep on file. Will it automatically charge the card on file at the end of the month, or does the customer still have to open the invoice and choose auto payments?

Message 19 of 34
Alumni

Hey @CoKiv 

You'll have to select the card on your end to auto debit. Once you store the card info in your customer's profile:

1. Open your customer's recurring series. 
  2. Hit Edit Series (found at the bottom right of your screen). 
  3. Under Invoice Details, click Invoice method drop down menu 
  4. Select the card on file
  5. Hit save in the top right corner. 

From there, the card will be charged at 10am PT on the cadence you set for the series. Check out this thread I moved you to for a visual.

I hope this helps! 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 20 of 34

So there is no “edit series” at the bottom right in the app. The only option available is “Cancel Invoice”. I tried to do it online, and when I hit edit it took me to a screen telling me to open the app. 

Message 21 of 34