x

Can I process an exchange?

I own a clothing boutique and would love for square to come up with a return category. As of now we are doing everything on paper but it would be nicer, more organized and professional if we could do everything to square and it automatically put it back into inventory. Along with asking how the customer would like the return back. We do store credit or exchange so as of now we are just making gift cards and using our discount category to clear out the total as we put it back on the gift card for them to use in future purchases.

Message 1 of 54
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: Can I process an exchange?

Hi there!

Know it's been a while, but I wanted to follow up on this post. Exchanges with automatic inventory adjustments are now available in the Square Retail App. It's still on the roadmap for the Square Point of Sale app.

Learn more here

Thanks as always for being a Square seller!

1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

Absolutely see how that would streamline the process, that gift card trick is a great work around if you only allow exchange or store credit and not full returns! 

Keep in mind that if you do process a full return on the original transaction, your inventory will not be adjusted and you will have to manually edit your inventory to match the return. 

I'll be sure to share your concerns and requests with our product liaison team! 

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 54
53 REPLIES 53
Square

Hi there!

Know it's been a while, but I wanted to follow up on this post. Exchanges with automatic inventory adjustments are now available in the Square Retail App. It's still on the roadmap for the Square Point of Sale app.

Learn more here

Thanks as always for being a Square seller!

Message 43 of 54

Thank you for the reply.   Is there a time frame that you plan to implement the exchange function in the square POS app?

@megank 

Message 44 of 54
Super Seller Alumni

How about in the Register?  That would be very handy.

Judy T Shumway
Message 45 of 54

The post mentions that it is on the road map for POS app as of four years ago - has it been implemented?

Message 46 of 54

I have version 5.45. is this not an option in that app?
Message 47 of 54

This reply created from merging an existing thread: "Please Improve Sqaure by adding an exchange button and return without reciept." The author has been notified via email.

Specifically speaking to our business, our customers do not care about their receipts.   Nor do they do not want them or keep up with them.

We have customers that buy or pick up items for other people.  Occasionally, they buy the wrong item and come in to do an exchange.  

They do not have the receipt when they return to the store or know the time they came.

This is TIME CONSUMING, looking through transactions and trying to find a specific “Cash” transaction.   Especially if you trying to keep inventory straight. 

I’m aware you can return “Up to” an amount in transactions, but this is not helping.    Again, speaking to our business, we could do over 500 transactions in a day.   Searching through the system is not easy.

This is needs to be improved upon.

By adding an “exchange” and “return without receipt button”, this could solve issues for many people.

I know I’m not the only business struggling with this.

Message 48 of 54

I went through transactions and through customers to attempts to exchange the items bought online. My customer want a different size. There's only the option to RETURN the items. I don't see the options in either the Square Retail App, or Square POS.

Message 49 of 54
Beta Member

Hello,

I am definitely a newbie to the whole Square system, but from what I have found out, exchanges cannot be made through the Square Register, and I really don’t understand why. It is the same retail system as the iPad.

I am in the process of possibly purchasing 8 Square Registers for both of our locations, but I am really debating vs just buying iPads...

Is this something you might be able to put on your “high-priority” list? I love the design of the register, and I would love to implement them, but the simple fact that you can’t do an exchange on it is a bit weird to me.

I don't want to spend money on “temporary” iPads just so employees can do an exchange, and apply the return amount to the cart. In our line of business, that feature is extremely important, especially with the way receipts are being printed out....

For a “return”, it would be nice for the system/printer to automatically print a “Return” receipt, instead of a copy of the original receipt, with a small area towards the bottom showing that something was returned.

Mike

Message 50 of 54
Square Community Moderator

Hey @Mike_V,

I moved your post to an existing feature request thread for this.

At the time- it's still a feature request for the Point of Sale system. Square for Retail actually is available on the Register if you have a subscription for it though and Retail does have exchange options.

Here's a Support Center article for it for reference. 

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 51 of 54
Beta Member

Good morning,

I do have a Retail Plus account, and am running the Square for Retail POS on the register, but it still will only let me Return an item, vs. offering to exchange it.

My software says it is up to date, and the other thing I noticed that my register doesn't have that my iPad does is the "Create Order" option?

Message 52 of 54
Square Community Moderator

@Mike_V Did you already click the link on Megan's post on the first page?

She details in her post there on how to process an exchange if you haven't looked yet. 

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 53 of 54
Beta Member

Good morning,

Yes, I did see that post. Is the "app" different from the Register software? I am able to do exchanges from the Retail App on the iPad, but not on the register.

Message 54 of 54