x

Does anyone know how to make so that bought or redeemed gift cards don't receive loyalty stars?

I am having trouble because when a customer comes into the shop with an exchange (we don't do refunds), we put the amount of the exchange on a gift card for the customer to use then or another time.  So, they may have already gotten loyalty/reward stars for purchasing the item in the first place and now they can get the stars again when they redeem the gift card for another purchase.  Is their anyway to just turn off gift cards from receiving loyalty stars altogether?

Message 1 of 2
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi @Bethiepat

You're not the first seller I've heard of run into this issue. 

Unfortunately there isn't a way to turn off the loyalty rewards for gift card purchases at this time, but it's something that our Gift Card and Loyalty teams are tracking and looking at.

The solution that many sellers use is manually reducing the stars when Gift Card exchanges occur. You'll need to use the Customer Directory and apply a customer profile to each sale for this to work, but here's an article that can get you started: 

Add Customers and Payments to Your Directory from the Square App

I'll pass your interest around this along to those teams and advocate on your behalf to get a better solution in place. Hopefully we can get this prioritized soon, and if anything new comes along I'll be sure to post about it. 

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi @Bethiepat

You're not the first seller I've heard of run into this issue. 

Unfortunately there isn't a way to turn off the loyalty rewards for gift card purchases at this time, but it's something that our Gift Card and Loyalty teams are tracking and looking at.

The solution that many sellers use is manually reducing the stars when Gift Card exchanges occur. You'll need to use the Customer Directory and apply a customer profile to each sale for this to work, but here's an article that can get you started: 

Add Customers and Payments to Your Directory from the Square App

I'll pass your interest around this along to those teams and advocate on your behalf to get a better solution in place. Hopefully we can get this prioritized soon, and if anything new comes along I'll be sure to post about it. 

Message 2 of 2