x

Fresh KDS alternatives

Does anyone know if any Fresh KDS alternvatives for iOS? I want all orders that come in to be displayed on another iPad. 

Fresh KDS is exactly what I'm looking for but it does not have an app for iOS. 

Thanks

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 50
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

Drumroll, please...🥁

Dropping in to announce that Square now offers a Kitchen Display System! We included lots of great information about our new KDS in our Product Update post, but be sure to check out our Support Center article before getting started to ensure a smooth transition from your current setup.

We are so excited about this, and hope you are too - feel free to hop over to our Product Update post to leave your questions or feedback about the brand new Square KDS.

If you need more one-on-one help, log into your Square account and head here to speak directly with our team.

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 46 of 50
49 REPLIES 49
Developer

yeah, I do not se ethe need to restrict this to tablet only let alone being restricted to a specific OS too. I have some time avaiable over the holidays and aim to get started then.

I hope for a soloution which can run on any web based device. tablet or not, touch screen or not.

Message 22 of 50

I’m running fresh KDS on an old computer I had with custom android os “Phoenix OS” with large screens for over a year now without a lot of problems.

I wish that fresh KDS could connect directly to Square instead of WiFi 

Message 23 of 50
Developer

Hi,

as as far as I am aware there is no way to connect “directly” with square. To pull order information you need to access the square connect API. And you cannot do this without and internet connection. 

Whats your usecase not wanting to connect to WiFi? Your square APP requires and internet connection right?

Message 24 of 50

For reliability incase if the signal drops, honestly it never happened with me but from what i hear sometimes.

Message 25 of 50
Beta Member

When was this because they told me it would be sometime in 2018. 

Karen Ferr
Karen Ferrell (Fresh Technology )
Nov 4, 08:04 CDT

It will be sometime in 2018 when we release the version to work with Android Square

Message 26 of 50
Partner

Hi Bezabel,

Sorry that you were unable to use the system, or that someone on our side misinformed you about our plans.  In early 2017 we began redeveloping the Fresh KDS system, and released a completely new app in June 2018 that is available for both iOS and Android.

The new system resolves all of the issues mentioned in the forum, and has exceptional customer support.

Check out Fresh KDS 2.0 - and feel free to reach out with any comments or questions.

Best,

Andrew & The Fresh KDS Team

Message 27 of 50

I'm late but just to be sure...I CANNOT have an android in the kitchen with Fresh KDS running with an android running square up front?

Message 28 of 50
Partner

Hi EJaqsun,

The new Fresh KDS 2.0 (released in June 2018) is compatibale with iOS and Android.

Check it out in the Square App Marketplace, the iOS App Store, Google Play, or directly at the Fresh KDS website.

Please reach out if you have any additional comments or questions!

Best,

Message 29 of 50

I'm late, but just to be sure...I CANNOT have an android in the kitchen with Fresh KDS running with an Android running square up front?

Message 30 of 50

EJaqsun, yes you're correct. Currently, Fresh KDS only works with an iOS register (POS) and an android device with Fresh KDS. 

Message 31 of 50

ok. thank you

Message 32 of 50

IMO square should launch a kitchen screen to accompany the new square register hardware. You guys would make a killing.

Bobby

Message 33 of 50
Partner

Hi EJ,

The new Fresh KDS works with Square POS, Square Register, and Square for Restaurants -- as is available for iOS and Android.

Our new team of developers and support staff are continuously working to make our system even better, and we have resolved every issue reported in the forum!

Check out FRESH KDS 2.0 (released June 2018) - and feel free to reach out with any questions!

Best,

Message 34 of 50
Partner

Hi Jace91,

Sorry that you did not have a good experience with Fresh KDS.

We released a completely rebuilt app in June that resolves all of the issues reported in the forum - and we have released 4 major updates since!  In addition, we have a full team of developers and support staff to ensure that everyone has as positive of an experience as possible using our product.

Fresh KDS is compatible with Square POS, Square Register, and Square for Restaurants -- and is available for iOS and Android.

We're here to help, so please do not hesitate to reach out if you have any comments or questions.

Best,

Message 35 of 50

I love Square.  It has stood the test of competition when other POS systems come knocking.  But if Square can not figure out a better KDS system than a wifi connected FreshKDS, I will be switching to Revel.  Revel has an integrated and hardwired KDS system.  Fresh KDS is trash:

• dropped orders
  • freezing
  • only android compatible
  • disconnecting from square printer settings
  • unable to find printer from square
  • in ability to manually add an order that didn't get posted originally
  • inability to edit an order after it is submitted

I've gone back to the dark ages printing kitchen tickets on paper.  I hate this.  FIX IT!  People have been complaining about FreshKDS for years now.  Make it a priority.  You are losing customers and experiencing horrible WOM.

Thanks

zach

Message 36 of 50
Partner

Hi Zakatak007,

Sorry that you are not a fan of Fresh KDS!

We have a full team of dedicated developers and support staff who are quite passionate about our product, with thousands of very happy customers around the world.

In June of 2018 we released a completely rebuilt system that took over a year to develop, and actually resolves most of your issues.  As for being able to edit tickets or manually add tickets, we do not offer that functionality because Fresh KDS is a "printer" for Square (replacing paper tickets).  The ability to edit orders after leaving the Square platform would cause all kinds of potential problems with mismatched orders, etc.  The order should be adjusted in Square and reprinted to the KDS.

However, the new system is compatible with iOS and Android, and we have not received any complaints of dropped orders or freezing.

If you are having issues, reach out directly to our team of customer services representatives (live chat and support tickets available on the Fresh KDS website).

Please contact us directly if you have any additional comments or questions.

Best,

Message 37 of 50

We just launched an alternative KDS.  You can check it out at appstore.com/kioskokds.  

We tried to solve a bunch of the problems mentioned in the thread (supports external screens, uses an iOS device, etc)

Send us a DM if you want to try it out for free.

And, let us know what you think, or what recommendations you have.  We plan to get updates out regularly, so feedback is definitely appreciated.

Thanks, can't wait for you to use it.

Message 38 of 50

This is great news, only if you guys have made this earlier, currently selling my restaurant and the new owner wil be using a different POS i would have tried your system for sure. but i will keep it in mind for the future

Message 39 of 50

Hi, 

I cam across your message in a thread discussing frustrations with Fresh KDS, which I share.   Does your kds work with open oroders / without an internet connection or is it accessing the API?  How are you connecting to square POS?  

Regards,

Nick

Message 40 of 50

Nick 

Thanks for your question.  I shot you a DM with a little more detail.  Yes, we are using the API to access the Square POS.  Square has given us a timeline of Q1 2019 for open order data being available via Reader SDK.  

Thanks,

Weston

Kiosko

Message 41 of 50
Partner

Hi!  Thanks for your interest in Fresh KDS.

Good news!  In June of 2018 we released a completely new version of Fresh KDS.  It is compatible with iOS and Android, and has a ton of new features that the old KDS system did not have.

All of the issues reporte in the forum have been resolved!  No more dropped tickets.

Check it out at Fresh KDS Website!

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Best,

Message 42 of 50