x
Beta Member

How are others that price by a decimal quantities working their charges?

We sell our farm's meat and poultry at farmer's markets, on farm and by delivery, and price mostly by the pound.  I'd love to have the ability to set the quantity to a decimal input, so I can enter the weight on the package meat and be able to have a set price on the item, but that is still not available.  So most of our items are just "variable" pricing, and I have to have a calculator in one hand, or go to back and forth from the calculator app on my phone to Square, to calculate the price on all our beef and pork.  The only other option I've been told is to set a price for .01 or .001 lb, and enter the decimal amount in as a whole number.  So if a Pork Shoulder Roast is $8.00/lb, and weights are in tenths, like 2.78 lbs, I'd have to set the price for the item as $.08 and input the quantity as 278, since it only takes whole numbers.  This seems like an expensive accident just waiting to happen.  And trying to explain why I have to do this to customers, and how it would show up on their receipts, just doesn't seem worth it, even if it would save time not having to calulate everything while inputing.  Are their any other farmers, butchers, or others who price by decimal quantities doing it this way successfully?  If so, do customers care?

Message 1 of 315
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

Square now offers the ability to charge decimal quantities. Start by visiting Items in Dashboard, then set the unit type. You can choose from a list of preset units, such as pounds, ounces, and feet.

You can also choose to add your own custom unit — in whole number or decimal quantities. Learn more here

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 313 of 315
314 REPLIES 314
Super Seller

The implementation of decimals far exceeds what I had hoped.  lots of options for weights and lengths etc.  I tested it for a few weeks now and it has worked great, unfortunately, my real testing of it would be in the summer when our farm stand is open.

Message 295 of 315
Super Seller Alumni

If you're that impressed, @VanKalkerFarms, I'm sure it's going to be great.  I almost literally can't wait.

Judy T Shumway
Message 296 of 315
Admin

@GlassJudy Yes the beta is iOS for now and we're still in the early days of testing so keep in touch (I know you will!) for updates on Square Register and Android compatibility! 😀

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 297 of 315

so the desktop or square.com site will not be part of the beta, just apps are in beta. I have an iPad Pro that I use for some sales and I use desktop a lot too.

I can't wait for this to happen, as a printer and sign maker. We use the .0004 to the cent and square foot all day.

Message 298 of 315

Please...  include the terminal.

Message 299 of 315
Admin

We'll pass this request up to the Beta team @Greatspirit!

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 300 of 315
Beta Member

Hi there, we've been using Square for years and we have a retail butcher shop.  This would literally be a blessing to our business.  How do we sign up? 

Message 301 of 315

Hi - we don't need decimal quantities to the extent of this whole beta thing that is going through units. We sell lunch plates and we pass the GET onto the customer but charge the customer a round number.  But because the Item can only be 2 decimal places we end up charging the customer $15.01.  Is there a workaround for this? or can't you just make more than 2 decimals at the item level? 

Message 302 of 315
Admin

Hey @dgreensbbq

Thanks for your comment in this thread! 

I went ahead and replied to your other post here.

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 303 of 315

I came to an answer that decimal quantity for half our service unit does not have an answer. Thanks, Square up. 

Message 304 of 315

So glad to hear the variable pricing /decimal beta is underway.  Looks like it started last summer.  Will it roll out in time for Summer 2020?  I'm doing a lot more online credit card sales with COVID-19 & would appreciate not having to calculate everything on a paper receipt first.  

So many farmers use square, it's a bit perplexing this feature isn't a higher priority.

Message 305 of 315
Square Community Moderator

Hey! Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the Seller Community!

This feature is fully available to you now. You should be able to see the Unit option on your Square Dashboard both under Items and when creating an item. 

For any questions you may have on general set up for decimal quantities, check out the Decimal Quantities FAQ as well. 🙂

AshleyK
Message 306 of 315

Well, the end times must be coming because Square finally added this feature years after users were begging for it when most of us are out of work.

I found my love with another service since joining this forum and now just hang on for curiosity. I'm glad the cat can finally pass on.

Message 307 of 315

What service have you moved to @hipsterforhire ?

Message 308 of 315

I sell items by the pound. I have an item set up called “1 pound” It’s price is $1.99. What if I sell 10.8 pounds of something? There are only whole numbers to choose from. 

Message 309 of 315
Super Seller

Message 310 of 315

The internet increasingly facilitates the sale of microunits.   We do data processing 1/10th of a cent per data unit.  Square makes it very awkward to invoice our customers.  We have to make a $0 unit, then explain what the price is in the notes.  Please HURRY on allowing fractions of a penny, in this age of micropayments.

Message 311 of 315

The option is there. Its bugged out though and they did not want to solve the issue. They contacted me and I explained the issue they were having.

Message 312 of 315
Alumni

Best Answer

Square now offers the ability to charge decimal quantities. Start by visiting Items in Dashboard, then set the unit type. You can choose from a list of preset units, such as pounds, ounces, and feet.

You can also choose to add your own custom unit — in whole number or decimal quantities. Learn more here

Justin
Message 313 of 315

I am not quite understanding your answer. 

I am starting a new business and i need to weight things by grams. However, i am new to the square point of sale and if an item costs less than $0.01 per gram, i have no idea how to add it to give me the price i need per 100grams. Being out of school for a while and having my math skills pretty rusty is probably not helping.

For example,

I have a few different prices but one is supposed to be $0.52 per 100g and another $2.22/100g. However, i cannot get a price that is less than $0.01/g. 

Please help! Or i will have to switch my POS. 

Thanks,

Bruna. 

Message 314 of 315

For anyone who still finds themselves getting updates to this thread YEARS later, abandon the Square ship if you invoice incrementally by any form of time. 

Dubsado, PayPal, QuickBooks, Toggl FREAKING EXCEL. Anything will let you invoice incrementally these days better than Square. For a “professional” service they’ve fallen flat on their face with a simple ass coding tweak.

Message 315 of 315