x

Receipt printer won't turn on

We have a square stand connected to a Star TSP 100 and a cash drawer. Recently the drawer wouldn't open, and the printer wouldn't come on. We unlocked the drawer with the key, and it is functioning normally. However, the printer will not turn on. It is getting power; we checked that. Anyone else experienced this or have ideas? The connecting cables look fine and are firmly connected. We have not made any changes that might affect the setup.

Message 1 of 19
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

@Carnegie - Sorry to hear! Have you already had a chance to try these printer troubleshooting steps?

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.

View Best Answer >

Message 4 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Super Seller

Do you have multiple register setups?  If so you could swap the printer with another known working one.  It could be that the printer simply died.  Does anything happen when you turn the printer on?  Depending on how old the printer is you would have to talk to the manufacturer to troubleshoot and or replace it.

-B

Message 2 of 19

It's the only one we have and isn't that old. Maybe a year, so I hope it's not that. We can't turn it on at all. However, it is getting power (according to gadget that tells you that).

Message 3 of 19
Square

Best Answer

@Carnegie - Sorry to hear! Have you already had a chance to try these printer troubleshooting steps?

Sean
he/him/his
Message 4 of 19

I did try these. They should be revised for those using a printer and cash drawer connected to the Square stand because that setup does not use Ethernet (it connects to the ipad itself). In any case, good news! Our handyman took the case off, and there is a switch inside that had gotten flipped somehow.

Message 5 of 19
Square

@Carnegie - Thanks for the feedback, and glad to hear you got things sorted out! 

Sean
he/him/his
Message 6 of 19

my printer has done the same thing!!  what switch???  ive looked everywhere and cant find anyting

Message 7 of 19

Hello @tonybudssewing, if you're using a Star Micronics printer it should be on the back. It would be near the power cable for the printer. 

If you send me the printer model number I can help you find it! 😄

Message 8 of 19

We are having the same issue, stopped working in the middle of our busiest day of the year, just not getting any power to the unit. 

Message 9 of 19

It’s only 6mo old. Haven’t even gone through 2 rolls of paper yet. 

Message 10 of 19
Alumni

@Qcvapersclub, I'm sorry to hear your printer isn't working - have you gone through these printer troubleshooting steps already? 

Message 11 of 19

I am having trouble getting my star tsp 100 printer to turn on. THere are no lights on it but it is all plugged in properly. I tried to unplug and plug in again but nothing. IS there a switch that could have gotten hit by mistake? If so how do I find it (I have looked by can't find one)

Message 12 of 19
Super Seller

Message 13 of 19
Alumni

@VanKalkerFarms thanks for the power switch reminder. 

@Spheres if you are using Square Stand, this could be caused by an ongoing issue with iOS 11. The newest version of iOS 11.2 should resolve all of these issues. Please double check the power button and that you have the most current version of iOS. 

Let us know if you have any other questions. 

Message 14 of 19

I have the square stand and my printer stopped out of the blue! It has lights on no is operable but it is saying not connected. I have tried everything??? So confused. Unplugged everything disconnected Wi-Fi nothing worked.

any ideas?

thank you

linda

Message 15 of 19

Thanks! It worked for me!!!

Message 16 of 19

HOW DID THIS SWITCH GET FLIPPED?  IF YOU MADE NO CHANGES  ?  I AM HAVING SAME PROBLEM...

Message 17 of 19

Hi I'm having this problem- printer not working have checked all wires, fuse cables correctly but nothing , no lights on 

Any help needed urgently 

Message 18 of 19
Square Community Moderator

Hey there, @Ashleyst1

Welcome to the Community!

What kind of receipt printer and hardware are you using? Are there any issues with the Square or just the printer? 

Also, have you reached out to the receipt manufacturer at all? 

I will keep an eye out for your reply👀

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 19 of 19