x
Super Seller

USB Number pad only works on some screens on the Square Register?

I am setting up square register.  The usb keyboard and number pad work great for entering new products, customer info, credit card numbers, searching for items and amount tendered.  But you cannot use a usb keyboard or number pad to enter a varible price or custom amount?  Am I missing something or is this a bug?

The reason I ask this is because It would be very useful to have a keypad setting right next to the price computing scale to enter the price into square register.  However, it would be even better to have a scale.USB NumberPadUSB NumberPad integrated into square

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Alumni

Hi @MichiganFarmsta - Have you seen the thread of sellers discussing the register? They might be able to answer some of your questions. 

I'll also share your feedback with our Register team as I know they're tracking it closely! 

Message 2 of 5
Super Seller

I am asking a specific question and it is not answered in that review and thread!  Is there a reason square does not allow a number pad to enter numbers on the varible price screen or the "keypad". 

Why pushing enter on the keypad does not function in a logical sense on the other screens.  For example when using it to enter an amount of cash tendered you cannot just push enter, you have to go back to the screen and press the tendered button which is already highlighted.  When entering a credit card number, you should be able to press enter when complete.  Or when creating an item enter should move to the next box.

Message 3 of 5
Admin

Thanks for taking the time to take a look and I'm sorry for the frustration this is causing, @MichiganFarmsta. I'll do some more digging around on this and circle back as soon as I have more information. Thank you for your patience in the meantime.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 4 of 5
Admin

Hey @MichiganFarmsta, I was able to catch up with the Register Team and share your post with them.

At this time, there isn't an official list of supported USB keyboards for Register. In cases where a keyboard may connect, we still aren't able to support entry for adding a custom amount or manually keying payments as you've mentioned—but we do see how this function would improve efficiency.

Going forward, our Register Team will be tracking this request as we're always making improvements based on seller feedback. I realize that this answer is limited, but I hope it helps make things more clear for now. Thanks for your patience—we'll certainly announce any updates as they become available!

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 5 of 5