x

How to set signature screen on Samsung S8+ to rotate to horizontal

Since the oreo update my Samsung S8+ signature screen does not rotate to horizontal, although my phone's set to auto-rotate. Anyone else experience this?

Message 1 of 89
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

Hi @Leequa - Sorry it took me so long to provide this update. 

I just heard back from our engineering team that the app is performing as expected with some versions of Android's signature screen in portrait mode. They're not actively working on the landscape signature screen mode, but exploring its possibility since I've been sharing all of your feedback with them. 

I'm really sorry that I had to share this news because I know it's not what you all expected. I'm going to continue sharing your feedback, especially around missing out on tips with this smaller screen. I'll keep you updated as I learn more. 

View Best Answer >

Message 55 of 89
88 REPLIES 88

I've tried this solution and it doesn't work to lock rotation in landscape mode.

Message 43 of 89
Admin

@Purses4U No news yet I'm afraid but thanks for checking in. We really appreciate your patience!

@integra92blue I'm sorry that the workaround hasn't helped, I know this is really frustrating.

We'll post in this thread as soon as we have any updates to let everyone know.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 44 of 89

I have a Note8 and have the same issue as everyone else... screen rotation works in every app except Square, ever since the Oreo update. Customers have even commented on how awkward its is...

Message 45 of 89
Alumni

Hey @BREOT - Our engineers are definitely aware and looking into it further. We'll make sure to update this thread as we receive news from them. Thank you for your patience!

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 46 of 89

Another customer experiencing the same problem with the Samsung S9 Plus. Any new news about this issue? It has been some time and there seem to be a large number of folks affected by the problem. 

Message 47 of 89

I called Square about the issue to see if maybe they could provide further insight. I was told Square currently doesn't support the S9. If you look at their website the last Galaxy S they show as compatible is the S6, lol. So you can't buy a phone that was made in the last 4 years if you want to be completely compatible. 😂

Message 48 of 89

Hello @Leequa, @DaniFroom, @dexxyzing, and @GabeTrout

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble all of you have been experiencing with your Android phones. Our Engineering Team is aware that the screen does not rotate on larger Android devices. Currently there isn't a timeline on when this part of the app will be improved for your devices. I made sure to pin @Helen's answer to the first page so other sellers can see it as well. 

I'm making sure to track all of your feedback around this issue and supply it to our Engineering Team. I definitely see how this can be annoying. 

Currently we do support up to the Galaxy S9+, you can view this on our Device Compatibility page. @GabeTrout I'm guessing you contacted our Customer Success Team closer to when the phone was released. We don't get devices early, so that was probably true at the time since we hadn't tested the phone yet. 

If there are any updates on this I will make sure to tag all of you. If you have any questions for me please feel free to reach out! 

Message 49 of 89

Thanks for keeping up to date. Its one of those things that seems to really bother.my customers

Message 50 of 89

Still a problem on my S9. Locking phone in landscape for all apps is no solution.

Message 51 of 89

Has this been resolved yet?  This is extremely frustrating - I have mentioned it before to Square during support calls.  I can't believe this hasn't been fixed yet.  Obviously all our other apps work fine with screen rotation turned on in Oreo.

This isn't a Samsung issue obviously - isn't an issue with the app (especially if everyone else's apps work okay with screen rotation in Oreo).  Please let us know if you plan on fixing this.

Message 52 of 89

Hello @Catcomputers, you can see the latest update from @katieand on the first page of this thread. We're still tracking your feedback on this thread. 

Message 53 of 89

Ok, I'm going to do something I don't normally do but I am really frustrated with Square's BS apologies and ZERO fixes for this, so I"m going to ask, in all caps, WHEN IS THIS GOING TO BE FIXED?  WE ARE ALL FED UP WITH THIS!  I AM LOSING OUT ON TIPS BECAUSE OF THE SMALL TIP PERCENTAGE BUTTONS BEING CONDENCED IN PORTRAIT MODE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  FIX THIS NOW!

Message 54 of 89
Alumni

Best Answer

Hi @Leequa - Sorry it took me so long to provide this update. 

I just heard back from our engineering team that the app is performing as expected with some versions of Android's signature screen in portrait mode. They're not actively working on the landscape signature screen mode, but exploring its possibility since I've been sharing all of your feedback with them. 

I'm really sorry that I had to share this news because I know it's not what you all expected. I'm going to continue sharing your feedback, especially around missing out on tips with this smaller screen. I'll keep you updated as I learn more. 

Message 55 of 89

I got my brand new Samsung Galaxy S9+ and now the Square app that I use heavily no longer works properly. Frustrated. 

I turn the phone to the side anyway to give the customer more room but half the time that confuses the customer because all the app is still in portrait mode. This is not a professional look.

Square, this is not Android's fault, all my other apps rotate. You need to fix your app!

Message 56 of 89

Well, I guess I'll be moving onto PayPal.  Not happy for sure.

Message 57 of 89

Note 8 user and have the same issues after update as a far as screen not rotating to horizontal for signature. 

I would think with all these posts here voicing their concerns a fix should be made? 

What used to be a impressive feature, signing using my stylus on my Note 8 is now just weird with the vertical format.

Message 58 of 89

I'm experiencing the same limitation on my S9+. Patrons give a weird look everytime I have to hand them the phone to sign in portrait mode. It's a very noticable affect to the overall experience. Please have this ability added back as soon as possible. Thank you,

Message 59 of 89

after many months without a fix and well feeling as though so many of us dont matter I will be looking into other options to process payments.  I have been a part of the Square community since the beginning.  I may not be the biggest customer but I have always supported and remained loyal.  To bad the feeling isn't mutual.

Stacy

Message 60 of 89

Just got yet another update to Square and still no fix for this after 4+ months. Are your "engineers" lazy and/or stupid? How can they not see this as a problem? Do you not have a design/customer experience team to tell the engineers to fix the problem? I wonder how many customers you've lost because of this...

Message 61 of 89

I've just updated my phone to a Galaxy S9 and my Square app won't auto-rotate even though the phone is set to auto-rotate.  My customers are frustrated with such a small signature line.  Please try to fix this.  Thanks!

Message 62 of 89

Still not fixed, very annoying. S8

Message 63 of 89