x

SSL Encryption is a must have in 2017

Hey everybody! It's time to take this request down because Weebly kindly gave everyone an upgrade to SSL quite some time ago already, which is totally awesome and greatly appreciated! Kudos to WEEBLY for this important improvement. I have now phased out all but one of my WordPress sites because hey, who wants to diddle around with hackers and constant updates when Weebly takes care of it flawelessly?! 

My hat's off to the crew at Weebly. I intend to be a customer for a long, long time. All the best!

Message 1 of 152
151 REPLIES 151

I agree with you. I think ssl should be an available option at all plan levels, especially with the performance and seo benefits.

Message 67 of 152
Square

If you guys would like us to add an SSL option to other plans, feel free to suggest that on our Vote on Features board here:

Vote on Features

Message 67 of 152

BTW, Squarespace offers this for free using letsencrypt...  So these days there is no excuse for not offering this as part of the basic plan.. It's a one checkbox option now on Squarespace... 

Message 67 of 152

Adam, really? Are you serious?

It's about a year since the free certificates of "Let's encrypt" are available. It's Wix, Squarespace, Jimdoo, Jotform and others, that already have implemented SLL for all plans and Weebly is just telling "got to vote on features"?

It's Google starting ranking down non secure websites soon, it's Chrome, Firefox and Safari marking non secure websites with a red x and Weebly is just telling "got to vote on features"?

And it's asked by lots of Weebly users to have ssl for all plans, is there really still a need to "vote on features?

[18 Links to threads where users ask for ssl - obviously those links makes my comment not to be postet, since it's working without them]

I've just got a warning from Google Search Console, because a Customer of me has implemented a third party ssl booking form on the non-ssl website. It will be marked as non secure in the next version of Chrome. What am I supposed to do now?

Please don't tell me to upgrade to the Business Plan. I only need the encryption, nothing more. Since the free certificates of "Let's Encrypt" are available, it's nomore an up selling feature anymore. I have 56 live websites and paying over 450 $ a month.

Does Weebly still believe encryption is a question of "if? No it's only a question of "when"! And it's better sooner than later, otherwise Weebly is losing ground to it's competitors.

So please make a clear statement, how far Weebly is with implementing of SLL and what ETA we can expect!

Greetings from Switzerland

Patrick

Message 67 of 152
Square

We are in the process of determining how we want to proceed with this, but I don't have info right now on how or in what way that will be. Sorry, I don't have more to say right now - I want you to know that it is something we plan on taking action about, though.

Message 67 of 152

It would be really great to have a timeline on this. Both Edge and Chrome are now penalizing non-ssl sites with yellow certificates and new sites on the platform get pop-up warnings in edge.

Given every other popular host I have checked is now offering this free, it would be really good to know when Weebly will address this.

Message 67 of 152

This SSL debacle is already costing me customers. and for those who might not have seen the warning message on Chrome I have attached a screenshot below FYI..  

If Weebly can't or won't give a timeframe for implementation of SSL for ALL Weebly account holders, I and a lot of others will have no alternative but to migrate to a Web Hosting company that does provide free SSL Certificates.  

imageThe ball is firmly in Weebly's court, time for them to sort this issue out once and for all and the sooner the better as far as I am concerned.

Message 67 of 152

Still no update on this matter!    Well I am looking at other hosting right now as people are going to pay a big price for not having that ssl.       Even if we had a update on this matter would mean something.     all the posts about this and still not a thing.      

Message 67 of 152

I add my few cents - another user looking to migrate as it is a MUST and costing us business. So please provide timeline or I am off next week.

Message 67 of 152

When customers log in to their websites, Google now marks the login screen as not secure!

What am I supposed to tell my customers? Why is Weebly still not able to offer ssl for all plans? All others like Squarespace, Wix or Jimdoo offers ssl for all plans since moths!

Greetings from Switzerland

Patrickimage

Message 67 of 152

I'm looking for a website builder, but was trialing Weebly first.

But based on the feedback in this post and the lack of commitment from Weebly to SSL, looks like I'll need to go elsewhere.

That's my vote...

Message 67 of 152

Hey, @aaronwhite7!

I totally get it. Please do know that we are working hard to get SSL for everyone, and it should happen soon.

Thanks for sharing your feedback,

Erin

Message 67 of 152

Please let us know when Pro will have SSL, we dont have checkouts, only websites, we need the PRO SSL certification urgently. Please address this issue immediately. Thankyou.
Message 67 of 152

I am disappointed to find out that Pro does not have SSL.
Message 67 of 152

Yep - this needs to happen quickly or i'll be moving on to Wix...need a timeline asap.
Message 67 of 152

Wow.  I'm astonished they wouldn't implement this incredibly standard feature.  It amazes me that websites will spend time and resources adding features no one wants but will neglect the most basic necessities that users need.  I wish I had known this before purchasing my plan.  I thought I did my due diligence.  Most definitely won't stay with Weebly at any level unless they implement a solution to this.

Message 67 of 152

WEEBLY, WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOUR PRIORITIES?

Do you thinkt SSL is just a hype and will be over soon? Why is there still no ETA? Almost two years are over, since the free certificates of Let's encrypt are available and most other website builder have already implemented SSL!

Message 67 of 152

Even though I sometimes feel change is made for change's sake, overall I really appreciate the benefits received from using weebly for several years. However this SSL debacle is really rocking my trust in weebly, especially as most other main webhosters have dealt with the issue. THis is really urgent and serious. What is happening. I know none of the webbuilders expected google to do this, and I don't like to think that weebly are hoping people will pay more to upgrade to business even if they dont need it (this is what was offered to me today quite seriously and almost as if the person had been advised to push this option. I was also told this was a problem for all webbuilders, when a quick search showed me that most have now dealt with it by working with let's encrypt or others). Are you seriously wanting to ditch your non commercial pro and beginner members weebly people? A quick search also showed me a page that explained step by step how I can move my weebly site to wordpress (saying it would take an hour) which certainly beats cut and paste. I imagine like me many are just waiting to decide when their pro membership comes up for renewal, and other website builders are happy to make it easier for people to switch.

Message 67 of 152

Yes this needs to happen asap.... it is not good that this is not an option especially for those of use that use weebly for clients sites. For clients that trust us to be doing the right thing with their business websites...

Message 67 of 152

Weebly, we need a resolution to this issue NOW! 

My site does not come up AT ALL in any google searches, partly due to this issue and I WILL NOT be upgrading to a business plan when I am starting out. I thought I made a great choice with weebly- I love your designs and ease of use but WTH, this is a BASIC feature that needs to be available to ALL users of your site. 

I plan on moving within the next month if this is not resolved.

Message 67 of 152