x

How do I accept payment for an invoice using the Square POS app?

Please: how to apply payment to an invoice using the Square POS? We had a customer come in with their invoice and wanted to pay it in-store. How to?

We took care of it by creating a new sale with the items and discounts, just to help the customer and keep the store running smoothly. But when they come in and want to use their credit card, they want to pay it on the spot. AND they want a receipt. There's no option for paying an invoice in-person.

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 150
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: How do I accept payment for an invoice using the Square POS app?

@bfmovingco 

This feature was rolled out to all accounts over the summer and into Retail and Appointments in late September. You should see the option to take a partial payments on an invoice in your Square POS on Android and all devices at this time.

You should be able to follow the steps in this article to take payments in person from your device. Android

To process an in-person card payment for a deposit or partial balance, follow these steps: 

1. Open the Square Point of Sale or Square Invoices app
  2. Select the desired invoice
  3. Tap Add Payment
  4. Enter or Select the payment amount 
  5. Tap Next
  6. Select the appropriate payment method
  7. Continue the check out flow

Note: Currently, tipping is only available as a percentage of the final invoice payment.

Please let me know if you have further questions or are experiencing issues with this. Happy to help.

1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

@bfmovingco 

This feature was rolled out to all accounts over the summer and into Retail and Appointments in late September. You should see the option to take a partial payments on an invoice in your Square POS on Android and all devices at this time.

You should be able to follow the steps in this article to take payments in person from your device. Android

To process an in-person card payment for a deposit or partial balance, follow these steps: 

1. Open the Square Point of Sale or Square Invoices app
  2. Select the desired invoice
  3. Tap Add Payment
  4. Enter or Select the payment amount 
  5. Tap Next
  6. Select the appropriate payment method
  7. Continue the check out flow

Note: Currently, tipping is only available as a percentage of the final invoice payment.

Please let me know if you have further questions or are experiencing issues with this. Happy to help.

kellyj
Technical Program Manager: AI
Square Inc

View Best Answer >

Message 135 of 150
149 REPLIES 149

Is there a way to take an invoice that has been in draft mode / awaiting to be sent and apply credit card payment if a customer prefers to visit our physical location to pay?

For example: I created an invoice for a customer, rather than email, the customer came by during our walk-in hours and asked to pay. I couldn't see a way to view the drafted invoice in the app to process the payment via our ipad. 

Message 22 of 150

I noticed that too. It's an on going issue lately. If we mark the draft as "paid" after the invoice has been paid in person it records the transaction as if the invoice was paid twice. Any way to better connect this for records? Any luck in updating this feature? At least a way of using the receipt number for the walk-in transaction to adjust to invoice draft ? OH COME ON SQUARE!!:)
Message 23 of 150

It would be a great functionality to add to the exisitng app. How are you handling it when it is showing as paid twice? 

Message 24 of 150

I am also interested in this feature of applying a partial payment to an invoice...
Message 25 of 150
Square

@Ryan22 - Thanks for sharing. We'll be sure to express your interest with our product folks! 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 26 of 150

but if you take payment at the register, and then mark the invoice as paid, you end up showing that amount of money twice in your stats.  It can significantly alter the "profit" appearance of the day.  I have the same problem.  People get an invoice, and then walk into the store to pay.  We also just take payment through a new item, then I have to actually cancel the invoice.  Now there is an option to not notify the customer, but still it is a problem because then I no longer have the invoice as a record.  For example.  Somebody ordered 3 dozen doughnuts with detailed speficiation for a week from now.  I issue invoice, then two days later they walk into the store to pay.  If I cancel out the invoice, I loose the details I took down when I took the order.  So now I have to keep a paper record as well, which sort of defies the point of having a fancy electronic system like square.

Example two.  My employee issues and invoice, then figures out they did it wrong, or customer decides to add more.  Instead of accessing and editing the existing invoice from square register, now thye have to issue a new one, and I have to go in and cancel the old one if I remember when I get home at night.

The invoicing is good.  But it needs to be more fully integrated into square register, not its own stand alone fucntion in the back office dashboard only.  retail and food is more fluid then that.

Message 27 of 150

That is a normal thing to apply payments to invoices. I do not understand why this is not an option? Please add this feature!

Message 28 of 150
Square

Thanks for posting, @Picasa - we'll update this thread if this changes in the future! 

Message 29 of 150

I have an invoice and the client paid with cash when I hit pay invoice it only has credit card how do I do cash

Message 30 of 150
Square

Great question @wendylamb. Check out George's answer above. 

Message 31 of 150

I would also like to see invoice payable through the register, my clients are sent an invoice when the order is places but then the pay the invoice when the order is picked up. Also I have customer that will come in and pay a deposit on an invoice and we have no way of tracking this either. Another issues I would like to see improved is when you have split payment. It prints a receipt after each payment

Message 32 of 150
Square

@Ttart Thanks for taking the time to share those thoughts! I've definitely heard these requests before and I'll pass those along to our Product Liaison team. Square makes our product changes off of what we hear from our customers, so we appreciate you sharing what you are looking for!

Message 33 of 150

It seems to be a popular issue! We would like invoices to be integrated with register and be able to apply payments (walk-ins) without having to void them or mark them as paid as I've read through others experience.

waiting for square to come up with a solution...

Message 34 of 150
Square

@GoGraphicsArt - Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. This is definitely a popular feature request (although not one of our top ones). For more details on the feature request process, check out this process

Sean
he/him/his
Message 35 of 150

I also would love to transfer an invoice to the register to pay. I just had an instance where I made a delivery and was paid on delivery. I had to know the total, so I made an invoice. They paid cash and now I am trying to figure out how to run it through the register. I need a record of having sold the items and don't like what I am hearing about the money showing paid twice. So here is another vote for you working on this issue.

Message 36 of 150

Agreed.  Need to be able to pay Square Invoices with Square Register.  Isn't that Square is about?  Also, better reporting on invoices (i.e. how do I print a report showing unpaid invoices with customer email address?)

Message 37 of 150

Yes, Agreed. partial payments and paying an invoice at register is a must. It makes you look just silly when someone comes prepared to pay an invoice and have to stand there for 15 minutes while you reenter all the information. 

Message 38 of 150
Admin

Thanks for sharing your experience, @BlazinDesigns. We don't have a specific timeline for this feature, but I'll be sure this gets over to our Invoices Team. Keep in touch, and please don't hesitate to share any other insight!

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 39 of 150

I have to agree with everyone in this thread.  I don't think I will use invoicing again until we are able to accept payments at the register.  Its just too much work.  

Message 40 of 150
Square

@ArcheryDirector - Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. We'll be sure to pass them along to our product liaison team. As a workaround, you could consider pulling up the Square Dashboard on your tablet/smartphone. I'll also be sure to update this thread if I learn of any updates. 

Sean
he/him/his
Message 41 of 150

Was just hoping to get an update on invoices and whether this discussed changes will be taking place and an estimated time frame.  We love the square POS, but are extremely frustrated that you can't invoice customers off the register, can't print invoices after they've been created (to be used as proof of delivery tickets), and can't accept a payment on invoices in person.

Message 42 of 150