x

Does Square accept Canadian Debit cards?

I would like this question answered before applying for a Square.

It would save a lot of time if Square had a customer service number for potential clients to call and get their questions answered.

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 135
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi there, @WestsideYYC and @sqruserincanada! I hope this message finds you both well.

Wanted to reach out with some good news. I am happy to report that we're able to offer full Interac acceptance in Canada! This means that you can now accept chip and PIN payments using the Contactless & Chip Card reader or the Square Terminal. ๐Ÿ‘More info on Debit & Pin availability is available here and you can visit our Support Centre to learn more accepting Interac debit cards cards

Thanks so much for your patience while we brought this feature to fruition! We appreciate you being a part of the Square Community. 

This post was updated in October 2020.

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 131 of 135
134 REPLIES 134

We tested our Square reader today. The tap feature works just fine, but when we tried paying with debit by inserting the chip, the payment would not go through; it would tell us to try again. Our debit card does support the tap option, so accepting payment was fine through tap, but we want to be able to offer both tap and chip payments to customers if their cards suuport both. Any information is helpful. Thanks in advance!

Message 106 of 135

Hello @djandrodelyn, I went ahead and merged your thread with this one since this questions been asked before. 

Currently we only support debit tap processing in Canada. We're working to bring debit chip transactions to everyone, but we don't have a timeline we can share at this time. 

If you still have questions please feel free to reach out to me! 

Message 107 of 135
Beta Member

Here in Canada the banking cartel does not want any upstarts eating into their lucrative operations.

About the only want to make change in to litigate which is expensive and time consuming

The competition act has the best potential but there are other enactments of interest.

Message 108 of 135

Hi Chad,

Just wanted to check in and see if there is an updated timeline on debit chip transactions becoming a possibility on the Square system in Canada. We get the question "Why not?" all of the time, and I am just not quite sure what a satisfactory answer is for our customers. If the feature is not not available in the near future, would you be able to shed some light as to why this transaction type is not yet available? I am just hoping to provide insight for our customers one way or another.

Cheers!

Message 109 of 135
Admin

@ilesauvage No news yet I'm afraid. We know that it's important to you - I'm really sorry that it's caused confusion among your customers but you can assure them that we're working on it. 

As soon as we have any updates we'll post in this thread to automatically notify everyone. I really appreciate your patience in the meantime. 

๏œ๏ธ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 110 of 135

Helen,

could you please explain Square acceptance of co-branded cards?  We have customers trying to tap Visa Debit cards and they donโ€™t seem to work.  Am I correct that Square does not process co-branded cards as Debit when tapped?  And the work-around is to swipe the card?

Message 111 of 135

Hi @tdginctr! Stepping in for @Helen here while she's out.

With Canadian debit cards, you can only accept them by tap via the Contactless + Chip reader. You wouldn't be able to swipe the debit cards there at all per Interac's regulations with us.

Ashley C
Message 112 of 135

How do I accept co-branded cards then?  I try to tap Canadian-issued Visa Debit cards but they fail (ie these are debit cards issued by Bank of Nova Scotia, as an example).  Non-co-branded Canadian debit cards (like Bank of Montreal debit cards) work fine.  What's the problem with the co-branded cards?  Perhaps you are sending over the Visa network instead of Interac?

Message 113 of 135

@tdginctr It's all dependent on the card issuer's end. A lot of customers have debit tap disabled which commonly causes the failure. 

Ashley C
Message 114 of 135

OK, so just to be clear on what is supported:  Square will accept a co-branded card (ie Visa Debit card, with an Interac logo, issued by a Canadian bank) as a debit card, assuming that tap has not been disbabled on the card?  And of course assuming that the card is not damaged, has a malfunction, etc.  Square has no general problem with processing co-branded cards in Canada?

If so, I'll have to get more details from a transaction as I'm told that these cards work as contactless debit cards with other acquirers.

Message 115 of 135
Beta Member

Co-branded cards seem to be fine in Canada. They will work with tap, but again, if it is a Visa Debit card, even with co-brandong, you cannot use it over $100. 

Message 116 of 135

Hi there, @ilesauvage! I hope you are doing so well! 

Wanted to reach out with some good news in regards to your post back in May. As of this week, I am happy to report that we're able to offer full Interac acceptance in Canada! This means that you can now accept chip and PIN payments using the Contactless & Chip Card reader ๐Ÿ‘More info on Debit & Pin availability here. 

Thanks so much for your patience while we brought this feature to fruition! We appreciate you being a part of the Square Community. 

Joe
Message 117 of 135

I have only been open a week and am already frustrated with the system and the conversations I have to have with customers.  This is not the way I want to leave my customers feeling. 

Many customers have debit tap turned off because their money is not protected if their card is stolen.  I had no idea how many people have done this.  

I love the square system for all other things, but this is a BIG issue.   I was told that "it was being worked on" - when can we expect this to be available?  I will likely have to find another provider if it's not soon.  

Thank you!

Message 118 of 135

Hi @Zenfire!

Thanks for your feedback around debit tap in Canada.

I'm going to move your post to a relevant thread that exists in our Community about this so our product team can track the amount of sellers asking for it.

Currently this is our agreement with Interac on tap only and the $100 limit, but it's a popular request to change this.

We definitely understand having to do what's best for your business if need be as well!

Ashley C
Message 119 of 135

It looks like a new feature of the terminal is supporting Chip + PIN interac transactions, is this coming to other devices or do we need to buy terminal?

Message 120 of 135

In the email I received announcing the Square Terminal, it had this at the end of it:

"Coming soon: Accept all Interac cards with Square Reader for Contactless and Chip."

If I'm reading it correctly, it would appear that support for all Interac cards will be getting enabled for the existing "Square Reader for Contactless and Chip".

Is my understanding correct?

Message 121 of 135
Admin

@WestsideYYC @sqruserincanada With the new Square Terminal, available to order now, you can accept Interac debit payments by inserting, tapping or swiping the card. To learn more about the new Terminal check out our Support Center. ๐ŸŽ‰

We are working on brining the same functionality to the Contactless and Chip Card reader but as inidcated by the email, we are working on it, and it's coming soon. Thanks for your patience! 

๏œ๏ธ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 122 of 135
Beta Member

@Helen wrote:

@WestsideYYC @sqruserincanada With the new Square Terminal, available to order now, you can accept Interac debit payments by inserting, tapping or swiping the card. To learn more about the new Terminal check out our Support Center. ๐ŸŽ‰

We are working on brining the same functionality to the Contactless and Chip Card reader but as inidcated by the email, we are working on it, and it's coming soon. Thanks for your patience! 

Chip + PIN payment systems are ideal as this would allow larger ticket items to be sold with Square as tap-pay is limited to $100 per transactions.

I assume the phone can be used as a PIN pad for the customer to complete the transaction

Message 123 of 135

@Helen Are there any hints on what "soon" might mean? Are we talking weeks, months, or maybe next year? The answer might allow us to better plan and inform our customers.

Thanks.

Message 124 of 135

It appears โ€œsoonโ€ is now. The Terminal has the functionality. It just isnโ€™t free. No rental fees though which is nice. Pay for the terminal once, take advantage of Squareโ€™s amazing program. Iโ€™d do it if it had a Shopify integration. (Yes I know that isnโ€™t likely)

Message 125 of 135
Admin

I'm sorry @QueensFlorist, I don't have a better timeline than 'soon'! I wish I did! 

@kazlady You are right there isn't an integration with Shopify, but the Square Terminal is available to order now! 

๏œ๏ธ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 126 of 135