x

How do I accept payment for an invoice using the Square POS app?

Please: how to apply payment to an invoice using the Square POS? We had a customer come in with their invoice and wanted to pay it in-store. How to?

We took care of it by creating a new sale with the items and discounts, just to help the customer and keep the store running smoothly. But when they come in and want to use their credit card, they want to pay it on the spot. AND they want a receipt. There's no option for paying an invoice in-person.

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 150
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: How do I accept payment for an invoice using the Square POS app?

@bfmovingco 

This feature was rolled out to all accounts over the summer and into Retail and Appointments in late September. You should see the option to take a partial payments on an invoice in your Square POS on Android and all devices at this time.

You should be able to follow the steps in this article to take payments in person from your device. Android

To process an in-person card payment for a deposit or partial balance, follow these steps: 

1. Open the Square Point of Sale or Square Invoices app
  2. Select the desired invoice
  3. Tap Add Payment
  4. Enter or Select the payment amount 
  5. Tap Next
  6. Select the appropriate payment method
  7. Continue the check out flow

Note: Currently, tipping is only available as a percentage of the final invoice payment.

Please let me know if you have further questions or are experiencing issues with this. Happy to help.

1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

@bfmovingco 

This feature was rolled out to all accounts over the summer and into Retail and Appointments in late September. You should see the option to take a partial payments on an invoice in your Square POS on Android and all devices at this time.

You should be able to follow the steps in this article to take payments in person from your device. Android

To process an in-person card payment for a deposit or partial balance, follow these steps: 

1. Open the Square Point of Sale or Square Invoices app
  2. Select the desired invoice
  3. Tap Add Payment
  4. Enter or Select the payment amount 
  5. Tap Next
  6. Select the appropriate payment method
  7. Continue the check out flow

Note: Currently, tipping is only available as a percentage of the final invoice payment.

Please let me know if you have further questions or are experiencing issues with this. Happy to help.

kellyj
Technical Program Manager: AI
Square Inc

View Best Answer >

Message 135 of 150
149 REPLIES 149

Yayyyyyyy! Finally, thank you!

Message 85 of 150

Slightly related, but is it possible for a customer to make a partial payment or pay a custom amount (or pre-determined amount) towards an invoice from the email that they receive when an invoice is created?

EG: Sending an invoice with a total price for a job, and giving the customer the option to either pay the entire balance upfront, a partial deposit, or a 50% deposit towards the total balance.

Message 86 of 150
Square Community Moderator

@Bluckain Great question and welcome to the Seller Community!

Unfortunately your customers aren't able to pay a portion of an invoice at this time. 

This is a pretty popular feature request, so our Product Team is actively tracking the seller interest on this. 

If we make any changes, we'll update everyone. 

As a workaround, you can edit the original amount and resend the invoice.

Only the updated invoice will be payable by your customer. Also, you may want to add a note to the edited invoice to indicate that it’s a partial payment.

You can send your customer a separate invoice at any time for the remaining balance of the original amount.

Message 87 of 150

Just noticed another thing on this today that makes invoices so inconvenient.  Had a customer mail in a check that had a tip amount on it.  I changed to invoice to allow the customer to add a tip, but it wouldn't allow me to enter the tip amount as I was marking the invoice paid.  I'm assuming the customer received another invoice with the tip function on it, but that is too little too late as I already had the check in my hands.

Message 88 of 150

Hi @mchmarty1

Unfortunately that's how it is intended to behave. 

While you can accept Cash/Check payments and pay Square Invoices in person, Square Point of Sale doesn't currently offer a way to record tips on Cash or Other Tender payments.

A workaround that I've seen a few sellers use would be to add the amount of the cash or other payment type tip as a note to the payment while completing the sale. These notes will be visible on customer receipts and Items Details CSV.

I hope this helps, and let me know if you need anything else. 

Message 89 of 150
Beta Member

YooHoo!  Are you listening?  Partial Payments available on Invoices, please!  Both in-person through "Take Payment" and via online payment option.  We create invoices to track customer orders and due dates.  Customers usually pay partial down then the rest on pick-up. It is too cumbersome when we have to create an original invoice, then edit an invoice to reflect a partial payment, then re-edit it again when they finish paying it off.  How many years have people been requesting this?  It's about time, already.  Thank you!

Message 90 of 150

@WhimPig We're definitely listening! Thanks for sharing your specific business need for this. I don't have anything new to report as of right now, but I'll update everyone if anything changes. 

Message 91 of 150

Great for mobile devices.  Looks awesome.  What about with the stand.  I did not see the option to pay an invoice when using the iPad in my stand.

Thanks

Message 92 of 150

@JeffB The ability to pay invoices in person is live for all devices with the Point of Sale app. 

You might need to update the app on your iPad to see the new features. 

Message 93 of 150
Beta Member

We are very glad for the ability to pay invoices directly from the POS rather than from the dashboard and mark it as "paid at POS."  That was an ok way to handle, but it was two steps and the new feature to pay invoices from the POS is great.

Our question is this:  We have an administrative password to lock things like reports, sales, and restricted discounts (i.e. employee discount); only a manager can access these things.  We cannot get the new invoice feature to function without prompting the entry of the Owner Passcode in Employees > Permissions.

We do not have employee management; the Guest Point of Sale Access is what we are using to restrict certain items.  We have the "Manage and Create Invoices" checked in the list of items that "Guests accessing this device without a passcode can access the following," but it STILL is requiring the passcode.

We NEED our employees to be able to view invoices and accept payment with a card if a customer comes in to pick up and wants to pay.  It seems as if there is a bug making this Owner Passcode requirement NOT turn off for the new invoice feature from POS.

Please help!  Thank you!

Message 94 of 150
Square

Hi @PizzCo and sorry to hear about the trouble! As you mentioned, as long as you have "Manage and Create Invoices" check off under Guest Permissions, you should not be prompted to enter a passcode to navigate, take payments for, and create new invoices within the app. I even tested it out on my account, and I wasn't promoted for a passcode. Have you tried checking for updates, signing out/in, or disabling/renabling guest permissions in-app? Let me know if that helps! 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 95 of 150
Beta Member

This still does not work for us. We've tried everything. IPad software and the Square POS app are both up-to-date. I've signed out of the POS app, turned off the iPad, and turned it back on. We've set up devices, signed into the iPad app with the Device Code, enabled Guest Permissions, and Manage and Create Invoices is checked, and the settings are saved. We STILL have to enter the main passcode to even view Invoices in the iPad POS app. So, for us, only managers with the passcode are able to take payments for invoices at the register, which is incredibly inconvenient.

Message 96 of 150

Is there a way to do this via website? I use this feature a lot in the app, but I can't do the same thing via the website as far as I can tell. I only see the options of mark as paid, duplicate, edit or delete.

Message 97 of 150

YES YES YES to taking multiple payments on invoices.  We have customers who pay in installments and right now we have no way to take installment payments. For example, someone puts a down payment on an item to reserve it, and comes back in a week to pay it off and pick it up. In this case we would need to create an invoice, take a down payment, and save the invoice to be paid in full later. This si very standard invoicing procedure.

Message 98 of 150
Admin

@millrivermusic @PEVhawaii @Boatlanding @ElyseWhitney @Louis96 @LadyK @igoshop4u @Thebbqstore @milo @JimmyU65 @wordstowood @Nuggettlee @Elikerr @Officiant-in-SD 

Good news on this request! We're currently recruiting for Sellers to Beta test in-person partial payments on Invoices. If you are using Android, this Beta will be opening soon. Add your name to the thread or join our Android Beta Community so we can get you started.

If you're using iOS - you can add your name to this thread, and we'll let you know when we've started recruiting for the beta on iOS. (coming soon)

Check out more here. 

kellyj
Technical Program Manager: AI
Square Inc
Message 99 of 150

Good to hear - thank you.

@Officiant-in-SD

Message 100 of 150

That is a great feature to add but in our business, we take down payments and have a need to apply multiple payments (at separate times) to a single invoice. Is Square working on this feature?

Message 101 of 150

I admin multiple Square accounts, one for a non-profit youth program where the need for split payments on an invoice has become paramount. The program's goal is to provide safe, after school activities and mentoring for at-risk age groups. Many parents with children in this demographic struggle financially and so we provide installment plans for tuition (where need isn't covered by waivers).  The installment payments sometimes change depending on the parents abilities that month, so creating multiple invoices in advance (aside from the tedium and possibility of human entry error) is not possible.  Basically right now the program is taking these payments outside of Square due to the hassle factor. Hopefully Square will have this...well...squared away, in time for the 2018/19 school year.

Message 102 of 150

I would like to send my customer a copy of a paid invoice.  I have his pay info and created a detailed invoice.  I don't want to send a draft/preview just a copy of a PAID invoice and I can't find a place to "tap" the invoice to get a pay screen to come up.  

Message 103 of 150

Hi @buildgrowrenew

You can do this from your Square Dashboard in the Invoices Tab

Click on the invoice you want to share, click on share, and copy the link to send to your customer. 

You can also pull up the Invoice itself and use the "Print" option to save the file as a .PDF to send to your customer directly. 

Message 104 of 150
Beta Member

Is there a way to pay multiple invoices under the same customer name with one payment method? I am currently using the invoice option our house accounts (customer who charge throughout the month and pay the following month) and most of my customers prefer to pay in person with a credit card. 

Can you also give me an update on when the house account payment option will be available? I was told when I switched over to Squre that this feature will be available soon. 

Message 105 of 150