x

How do I accept payment for an invoice using the Square POS app?

Please: how to apply payment to an invoice using the Square POS? We had a customer come in with their invoice and wanted to pay it in-store. How to?

We took care of it by creating a new sale with the items and discounts, just to help the customer and keep the store running smoothly. But when they come in and want to use their credit card, they want to pay it on the spot. AND they want a receipt. There's no option for paying an invoice in-person.

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 150
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: How do I accept payment for an invoice using the Square POS app?

@bfmovingco 

This feature was rolled out to all accounts over the summer and into Retail and Appointments in late September. You should see the option to take a partial payments on an invoice in your Square POS on Android and all devices at this time.

You should be able to follow the steps in this article to take payments in person from your device. Android

To process an in-person card payment for a deposit or partial balance, follow these steps: 

1. Open the Square Point of Sale or Square Invoices app
  2. Select the desired invoice
  3. Tap Add Payment
  4. Enter or Select the payment amount 
  5. Tap Next
  6. Select the appropriate payment method
  7. Continue the check out flow

Note: Currently, tipping is only available as a percentage of the final invoice payment.

Please let me know if you have further questions or are experiencing issues with this. Happy to help.

1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

@bfmovingco 

This feature was rolled out to all accounts over the summer and into Retail and Appointments in late September. You should see the option to take a partial payments on an invoice in your Square POS on Android and all devices at this time.

You should be able to follow the steps in this article to take payments in person from your device. Android

To process an in-person card payment for a deposit or partial balance, follow these steps: 

1. Open the Square Point of Sale or Square Invoices app
  2. Select the desired invoice
  3. Tap Add Payment
  4. Enter or Select the payment amount 
  5. Tap Next
  6. Select the appropriate payment method
  7. Continue the check out flow

Note: Currently, tipping is only available as a percentage of the final invoice payment.

Please let me know if you have further questions or are experiencing issues with this. Happy to help.

kellyj
Technical Program Manager: AI
Square Inc

View Best Answer >

Message 135 of 150
149 REPLIES 149

Hello @Boatlanding, welcome to the Seller Community! 

You might be interested in Open Tickets if you're engaging customers in person. Open tickets is essentially a tab. You can add a customer profile and all of their charges for the month to the open ticket and then process it in person with your customer at the end of the month. 

Invoices on Square are typically used when a customer can't be physically present to process a payment. Typically we don't share timelines for when a feature might be available for Square Point of Sale, but keep an eye out for threads announcing beta programs on the Community. I'm not sure if there is one in the works for this feature request, although we've had a couple recently like partial payments on invoices and an appointments app for Android. 

Message 106 of 150

Hey @Sean followed the steps you mentioned but im still not seeing the Take Payment option in the Invoice on the app

Message 107 of 150
Alumni

Hey @ElyseWhitney - The steps to do this have changed a bit since Sean originally posted. I've updated his answer to reflect the correct steps, but I'll include it here and put the changed steps in bold to save you the trouble of going back.

1. Select Invoices from the navigation menu (the three horizontal lines in the corner).

2. Click on the invoice from your list (already created). Or if you don’t have an outstanding invoice, create one from your device first.

3. Tap More.

4. Charge [Amount] Now.

5. Swipe, Dip or Tap your customers card or select a separate tender type (Card on File, Cash, Gift Card, Check or Other.)

6. You’ll see a final screen that reads Invoice Paid after the payment completes.

7. Your customer will automatically receive payment confirmation to the email entered for their Invoice.

Hope that helps!

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 108 of 150

Hi @puka,

I ran into an issue today when using the new partial payment on invoice. A customer had paid a deposit for an invoice 2 weeks ago and today on the the day of the event she wanted to complete payment of the invoice but I did not see the "more" button in the invoice to apply the remainder of the payment using the square reader. She also wanted to pay half of the remaining in cash, but without the "more" button I was not able to process. 

I had to create a new sale just to get it completed, but now I have an invoice that is partially unpaid and new sale that is not linked to this invoice. 

I have many more events coming up with invoices that have paid deposits, how do I do this correctly in the future? Also, any ideas on how fix the mess I have with this invoice? Thank you!

Message 109 of 150

Hey @Louis96, partial payments for invoices is still in beta.

I recommend reaching out to Howie on the thread Test Partial Payments in the Invoice Deposit Beta

Message 110 of 150

Hi @Chad,

Yes, I am on the partial payment beta and creating a deposit worked perfect. However the issue is with collecting the remainder of the invoice using the Square POS app. I do not see the “more” button on that invoice. 

Message 111 of 150

Yup! That's great feedback to provide to the invoicing team on that thread. 🙂

Message 112 of 150

Prior to noticing this option, I was taking payments through the card reader as “transactions” in person. Now I am having trouble linking the transaction to the open invoice. Help?!

Message 113 of 150
Admin

👋 Hello @LadyK. Currently there isn't a way to connect a completed transaction to an invoice or send an invoice instead of a receipt — it sounds like that's what you're interested in? 

With Square, if you send a customer an invoice they receive the invoice by email and then enter their own card information online to complete the payment. 

However, if after you send the invoice the customer says the prefer to pay in person or over the phone you can take the payment from the invoice:

1. Navigate to the Invoices seciton of the app. 
  2. Tap on the specific invoice.
  3. Scroll down and tap Add Payment > tap Charge $ Now.
  4. Complete the payment with the card reader or by manually entering the card information to the app. 
️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 114 of 150

This is helpful until I hit more. I just have an option: share, cancel, dismiss. No add amount. Do I have to do something to settings to have add amount available?

Message 115 of 150
Admin

Hi @igoshop4u! The steps above have changed slightly: from the app, after you select the invoice tap Add Payment and then you'll see the option to Charge $ Now.

If you want to change the amount of the Invoice before charging your csutomer, tap on the invoice from the app and tap Edit in the top right. Tap Send so that the customer is notified of these edits, and then tap Add Payment to charge your customer from the app.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 116 of 150
Beta Member

There is no option to "charge" on my screen? how do I get this added?

Message 117 of 150

Hello @Thebbqstore

On your app did you follow these steps? 

1. Select Invoices from the menu options. 
  2. Tap on the outstanding invoice. 
  3. Click on Add Payment.
  4. Select Record Payment or Charge Now. 

Message 118 of 150

@Chad the confusion might be that “Charge Now” does not exist on a partially paid invoice. It changes to “Send payment link” which is not really that useful when you are standing in front of the client. 

Message 119 of 150

@Louis96, that could be the case. Their comment didn't mention a partially paid invoice, so it didn't even cross my mind. Great catch! We're tracking that feature request here: How do I accept payment for a partically paid invoice via the app? 

I'll make sure to share your feedback with the Invoicing Team on not having the option to run cards for an in-person payment. 🙂

Message 120 of 150

Does this work on the Square for Retail application? I have a lot of customers that come in wanting to pay their invoices in person by card.  It currently doesn’t seem that the charge now option is available.  

Message 121 of 150
Admin

Hi @Agapeboco! The functionality of the Invoices section should be the same on both the Retail and Point of Sale apps.

This means if an invoice is unpaid you can open the invoice > tap Add Payment and then Charge $ Now.

However, if a customer has paid a deposit towards an invoice you will not be able to charge them for the balance - the customer must pay the balance online. 

I hope this helps clarify but if I misunderstood what you were looking for please let me know! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 122 of 150

A lot of my clients require an invoice and a lot pay in person.  I'd like to see a payment option on the invoice without having to send it first.

It would be great to just be able to create the invoice, take payment and a receipt sent in one go, rather than having to send the invoice, re-open it and then take payment.

Message 123 of 150
Beta Member

Plus one to this.  While I send most of my invoices I do have opportunity to use this feature as well.  Also, we get those people that simply do not have or will not give me their email.  Having this option would still make using an invoice work.

Message 124 of 150
Beta Member

Has this been updated? I am unable to figure out how to take a POS payment from a customer on an open invoice that had a deposit made....it is very frustrating and it messed up my accounting already. I took a separate payment on the POS and then later marked the invoice as Paid via Other, and now it shows me having made twice the amount for the day...however the actual Deposit for the day is just the fee I collected. I called support, but they never told me that I cannot accept a POS payment for an invoice with a prior deposit..wonder why they skipped that? This is a pain for me. 

Message 125 of 150
Admin

@JimmyU65 I'm really sorry that this is a pain point for you. I definitely can understand the importance of having this step available, and I'm sorry if it wasn't explained clearly from our team. I checked to see if there's any progress I can share but I wasn't able to find any updates quite yet.

Sorry again for the miscommunication. We'll definitely share updates with you and others as we receive them.

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 126 of 150